specified module not found RRS feed

• Question

• While using Vista, I am receivng 2 error messages each time I start my computer and long in under my user name. I've noticed that when I log in under "guest" I do not receive the error messages. The error messages are listed below:

c:\Users/Sarah/AppData\Local\Temp\xxYOFDst.dll

and

c:\Users\Sarah\ApData/Local/Karahyfe.dll

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

shudgens

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:14 AM Move to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 3:25 PM

Answers

• Sarah

This behavior can also be the result of a virus that was caught and deleted/cleaned by your Anti-Virus program or Anti-Spyware program.

The problem is that the program did not remove all of the references to this file in the start-up areas, which is why you get the error messages "File not found."

First, go to Start / All Programs.

Scroll down to the Startup Folder and select it.

If you see any references to those files, right click that reference and select Delete.

Next, go to Start and type   msconfig   in the Search Box and press Enter.

In the Configuration Utility, click the Start Up Tab.

Look for any references to these files.

If found, remove the check mark from those entries.

Click OK.

Reboot the computer and log on to see if the error messages appear again.

Let us know the result.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks like something associated with your login account is possibly corrupt (since its not happening to the guest account) Emptying your temp files should take care of the first error message and as for the second, I would begin with running a virus scan in safe mode and see if it comes up with anything and if it comes clean, rename karahyfe.dll to something like karahyfe_old.dll and see if you any of your programs have any issues and if you have no issues, you can continue working and if it does kick up issues, rename it to its original name and try to register the dll by using,.

Run this in an elevated admin command prompt.

regsvr32 <path & filename of dll or ocx>  

Monday, July 14, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Sarah

This behavior can also be the result of a virus that was caught and deleted/cleaned by your Anti-Virus program or Anti-Spyware program.

The problem is that the program did not remove all of the references to this file in the start-up areas, which is why you get the error messages "File not found."

First, go to Start / All Programs.

Scroll down to the Startup Folder and select it.

If you see any references to those files, right click that reference and select Delete.

Next, go to Start and type   msconfig   in the Search Box and press Enter.

In the Configuration Utility, click the Start Up Tab.

Look for any references to these files.

If found, remove the check mark from those entries.

Click OK.

Reboot the computer and log on to see if the error messages appear again.

Let us know the result.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Ronnie Vernon

Found your advice when researching my problem. I have just experienced similar situation following my doing maintainance & upgrade to Office 2010, with a message indicating "mfpmkill.dll" not found poping up on start-up.  Research using Explorer noted that their is a real Microsoft module named "mfpmkill64.dll" Your advise to use msconfig confirmed that the rogue module "mfpkmkill.dll" had Unknown Manufacturer, possibly changed by a virus before being found by McAfee. As per your advice I unchecked the module and restart which fully resolved the problem.

Thanks, Norman William

Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:24 AM