none
Second DPM Sever 2010 for Backing Up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We have 3 DPM2010 Server backing up various kinds of data eg echange sql and file data. i have now built a 4th dpm 2010 server which i was lead to belive could be classed as a secodary dpm server to the other primary ones for the tape back up side of things.

i have install the agent on one of my promary dpm servers and can see its protected servers when i create a protection group on the secondary one, but i only want to do tape back up on the secondary server and when i untick the short term disk option it greys out the next button.

how can i get past this as on my secondary server i just have to auto loaders running from it and want to use it for tape backup of my 3 primary ones.

Any help appriciated.

Many Thanks

Darren

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

that kind of protection is blocked as there was not much business need for that.

where as your case seems to be logical but we dont have any wayout for you to do it to only tape on secondary DPM

Different options you have now to do tape backups

Option 1. add disk protection on the secondary for critical Data sources and do tape for them.

Option 2. If your library can be made available by SAN, you can share it for all 4 DPMs.

Check for library sharing in DPM @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766563.aspx

Thanks,

Nikhil [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:42 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi

When you create a protectino group on a secodary DPM server you're able to choose the tape a short-term protection.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:33 PM
  • On the short term goals it wont let me select tape the box is also greyed out where you usually can select tape or disk

ay ideas why i cannot select tape?

thanks

darren

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

that kind of protection is blocked as there was not much business need for that.

where as your case seems to be logical but we dont have any wayout for you to do it to only tape on secondary DPM

Different options you have now to do tape backups

Option 1. add disk protection on the secondary for critical Data sources and do tape for them.

Option 2. If your library can be made available by SAN, you can share it for all 4 DPMs.

Check for library sharing in DPM @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766563.aspx

Thanks,

Nikhil [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:42 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 11:14 AM