none
Windows 10 photo viewer slow to open RRS feed

• Question

• I'm starting to hear complaints that the new Windows 10 photo viewer is slow to open.  I can replicate the issue on my PC.  I uninstalled the viewer and reinstalled it from the Windows store but that did not resolve the issue.  I'm seeing a lot of complaints about this on Internet.  I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Creator Edition:

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1703

OS Build 15063.138

Does anyone have a fix for this.  I'd prefer a fix instead of a workaround.  

Monday, April 24, 2017 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

There are various reasons causing this issue, like photo size, CPU, disk speed. 

I have SSD on my PC with latest Windows 10, the photo opens speed as I expected. 

You can first try to clear Photos catch to see if your issue can be fixed: Also, we can use process monitor to capture the system events when reproduce this issue, Use Windows performance monitor to capture the disk IO, CPU usage, time trend also and see what's the root cause. 

Step 1: Open Settings. Navigate to Apps > Apps & features. If you cannot see the Apps category in Settings (happens if you are running Anniversary or earlier builds), please navigate to System > Apps & features.

Step 2: Look for the Photos app entry. Click on the Photos app to see Advanced options link. Click the link to open Storage usage and app reset page.

photos app opening slowly in Windows 10 pic1

Step 3: Click the Reset button. Finally, click the Reset button when you see the confirmation dialog to Reset the Photos app.

photos app opening slowly in Windows 10 pic2

Try opening a picture file with the Photos app now. It should open instantly.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:56 AM
    Owner
  • Resetting did not work. My old windows phone opens pictures better than this.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:13 PM
  • The Windows 10 photo viewer seems to be quite advanced and is not your run-of-the-mill image viewer.  Mine was slow too, which led me to do some minor research.

1) The app "phones-home" to Microsoft with some sort of usage data.  This uses your network connection.  If you have a slow network, or other reasons why networking slow, this could be your problem.

2) The app maintains a database (SQLite) of images.  The database contains information on all your images.  So if you open up the app in a folder with a lot of other images, you will see a slowdown because it's doing a lot of querying (probably to speed up slideshow).

This is all I found so far.  These factors explain enough of why the old image viewer would be quicker.

Monday, September 4, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Hi, 

Is there any update on this issue? If so, please post back here. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:28 AM
    Owner
  • The Windows 10 photo viewer seems to be quite advanced and is not your run-of-the-mill image viewer.  Mine was slow too, which led me to do some minor research.

1) The app "phones-home" to Microsoft with some sort of usage data.  This uses your network connection.  If you have a slow network, or other reasons why networking slow, this could be your problem.

2) The app maintains a database (SQLite) of images.  The database contains information on all your images.  So if you open up the app in a folder with a lot of other images, you will see a slowdown because it's doing a lot of querying (probably to speed up slideshow).

This is all I found so far.  These factors explain enough of why the old image viewer would be quicker.

This is not an excuse for such behavior thou. Multi-threading is not a new invention and photo viewer could view image in one thread and call home with database update in another. Users are slow, they want to open picture asap and look at it for a long time. There is no real reason why it can't do it's stuff after the picture is viewed (when user would most likely stare at it for some time) rather then before.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:24 AM

This is not an excuse for such behavior thou. Multi-threading is not a new invention and photo viewer could view image in one thread and call home with database update in another. Users are slow, they want to open picture asap and look at it for a long time. There is no real reason why it can't do it's stuff after the picture is viewed (when user would most likely stare at it for some time) rather then before.

Honestly, I agree with MichDem. 

Why it can't just quickly open and let me see the photo faster?

Too slow!

Thursday, March 29, 2018 4:49 AM
  • Yes,

GONE are the good days.

Now worst thing everywhere.

Instead of getting better and fast. Even biggest companies like Microsoft is fooling customers.

XP was best. All you know.

So advance vista, Windows 7 might have better. But, they too very slow

Now windows 10 worst slow.

Not just for photos, even in windows explorer, while searching computer or anything.

I find very slow even with 8 GB of RAM and i3 and i5 processors

So those are golden days in 20th Century and starting 21st century. Now you can find all worst things in this world. So even Microsoft fooling us.

Even after having latest operating system. All updates. Clearing all files.

Advance user find this slow operating system. Then no question it will be worst

And if check most of the branded windows 10 systems not even supporting ps2 keyboards.

Systems goes into BSOD

And many more problems

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:58 PM
  • I have the same problem.  It takes up to 10 seconds to open any picture.  Once open it takes up to 6 seconds to open other images.  Just hitting the arrows is fast though. I've tried a few free photo viewers but they open minimized or don't auto rotate or my malware blocker kicks off.  

What is a simple, light weight photo viewer?  You'd think Microsoft would have this nailed by now. 

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:46 PM
  • This did not work.  
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:46 PM
  • Thanks, its resolve my issue
    Sunday, April 29, 2018 1:55 PM
  • thank you for this. worked perfectly
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:49 PM
  • you solved my problem
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:19 AM
  • had this problem as well - would take up to 5 seconds to load a small jpg or gif in the photos app, was driving me nuts. searched and found this answer and resetting the app per the instructions here solved the problem, thanks
    Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:40 PM
  • Very helpful! Thank you so much, I've been dealing with this problem since December.
    Saturday, July 21, 2018 11:33 PM
  • the new update (probably) removed it off the list. what now?
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:37 PM
  • i will suggest you please use IrfanView software it is easy fast image viewer.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Well I had same issue

Here is how you can solve the problem . go to photos app , open setting and disable OneDrive Sync .

Friday, August 10, 2018 10:26 PM
  • I solved this by ditching the app and selecting the old Windows Photo Viewer for the default apps. The fast, good old photo viewer is still in the 2018 Win10 I've got and now can open pictures in milliseconds instead of many seconds.

Settings>Apps>Default Apps> Photo Viewer: choose Windows Photo Viewer

• Edited by spannerzone Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Solution

1. Go to SETTINGS

2. Privacy

3. under privacy scroll down and click PICTURES

4. allow apps to access your pictures library TURN OFF

that's it. works like a magic. so easy to open your Photo.

• Proposed as answer by malkavean Tuesday, August 21, 2018 6:34 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2018 3:24 PM
  • "GONE are the good days.

Instead of getting better and fast. Even biggest companies like Microsoft is fooling customers.

XP was best. All you know."

Yeah, DOS was pretty fast, too...

Saturday, August 18, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Great info, but didn't solve slow pic opening
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:29 PM
  • Hi, thank you for this tip

I've tried reseting my photo viewer but it only worked for a few hours. Once the cash (I guess) was full, it got slower and slower. 

After I've tried your suggestion, it worked fine for me

Saturday, September 1, 2018 11:07 PM
  • Well they worked for me, thanks )':  :'(
    Sunday, September 2, 2018 10:20 AM
  • Worked for me. Simple screenshot, PNG format, took 30 seconds (!) to be displayed. After resetting, whatever that did, it's about a second or almost instantaneous.

Now, how can I reset Windows as a whole?

• Proposed as answer by Besorgd Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:21 PM
  • Clearing the cache worked for me as well.

There is a built-in function to do a fresh install of Win. Dig around - it is there somewhere. Haven't tried it though.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:07 AM
  • This worked great for my wife. I did it on mine and it just deleted the photos app. As this issue has been happening for so long, why can't they just provide an update to fix it? Lazy profiteering as usual.
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:59 AM
  • 10 seconds, I can only dream of that. I opened one before I started writing this, it's still opening. Taken almost a minute

Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:05 AM
  • That totally worked.  Thank you!

What I noticed is that, at the bottom of that page, there seems to be an addon that was added without my knowledge to the Photos app.  I saw the addon just as it disappeared, such that I could not catch its name.

By resetting the app, which is to automatically delete, re-download, and re-install, that addon disappeared, and loading photos went back to the old quick speed.

By the way, the app was since renamed to "Microsoft Photos".  Therefore, it's location in the list of apps has moved up to the "M" part.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:05 PM
  • This solved my issue...
    Friday, September 14, 2018 5:12 PM
  • I noticed those things too. In other words, MS found the problem and fixed it, but is acting like it's just a fluke that you need to clear. Typical.
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Thanks for your help, that helps me with my pics.
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:05 PM
  • This worked perfectly for me thank you.  Originally taking up to a minute to open, now opens instantly.  Thank you!
    Friday, September 28, 2018 9:04 AM
  • Thank

Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Thnx this works !! 
    Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:17 PM
  • this is your solution people for years and years of slow photo viewing, please give this man or woman a beer.
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:27 AM
  • i will suggest you please use IrfanView software it is easy fast image viewer.

Thanks.

Thanks, I just downloaded, installed and used it, really it is faster, open image instantly.
    • Edited by RonRazib Saturday, November 3, 2018 10:57 AM
    Saturday, November 3, 2018 10:57 AM
  • "GONE are the good days.

XP was best. All you know."

Yeah, DOS was pretty fast, too...

I love those days, using DOS :)
    Saturday, November 3, 2018 10:59 AM
  • Uninstall Photos App and use default Windows photo viewer. To bring it back download this file https://www16.zippyshare.com/v/AgJ0UfH4/file.html and import it to registry.

• Edited by digdeep Monday, November 5, 2018 7:49 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2018 7:45 PM
  • Thank you, this speeded it up. But if it continues I'll reset.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:14 PM
  • this one works. simple and easy. dont need to uninstall or download any photo viewer. Thanks
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 8:10 PM
  • That worked for me
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:49 PM
  • Worked for me.

Now we just have to wait and see if a new update reset it to its "factory mode" (which they usually do)

It's irritating that even a 5kb picture takes time to be shown. The photos app loads fast, but the image takes time to show no matter what its size is.

Thank you for sharing this.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 12:40 AM
  • Worked for me ! Good solution
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Thank you for this!
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:46 AM
  • Been wondering how to bring old good windows photo viewer back.
    Better than this slow bloatwared crap.
    Sunday, February 3, 2019 6:14 PM
  • Had the same issue, did as above (Kate Li's suggestion, thanks) but with a slight variation, there's a Repair button above the reset button. It solved my issue for now.

P.S. Tried to attach a screenshot but it wouldn't let me.

Jimmy

Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Don't just select Reset, Select Repair... Reset did nothing for me until I selected Repair.

Good Luck

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:47 PM
  • This worked for me....did reset and photos open in 1-2 secs now, and dont have SSD
    Monday, February 18, 2019 5:20 PM