ROM with OM and non-domain computers RRS feed

• Question

•  

I understand that System Essentials can't managed non-domain machines.  Not happy about it but "it is what it is".  That's a real bummer b/c several of our SMB's want us to manage their home computers and laptops that aren't part of their SBS domain.  As an alternative from Operations Manager with a gateway I believe we are able to managed non-domain machines by following the guides for this using certificates.  Does adding Remote Operations Manager limit/prohibit this or will we still be able to managed non-domain machines with our Operations Manager server/gateway setup? 

Also, ROM is built for SMB engagements which is why we connect it to SC Essentials.  SMB is the vast majority of our engagement but we have a few potential customers that have more servers than Essentials allows.  I think that means we'll need to install Operations Manager on their LAN and have it connected to our master Operations Manager.  Does the fact that we've added Remote Operations Manager limit that or can we have one master Ops Manager to manage our SMB clients (running SCE), our larger clients (running Ops Mgr), and our very small and remote clients (with agents talking direct to our Ops Mgr via gateway)?

I hope that makes sense.  We're trying to have "one Ops Manager to rule them all". 

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

I think your plan is doable. Remote Operations Manager is a solution provides a single entry point for remote management over the Internet for customer environments, using Operations Manager 2007 as your primary management console. It would not impair the function of SCOM 2007 itself.

And you can install a SCOM Gateway for the customers who have more than 30 servers in ROM environment.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:06 AM