none
Teams Free--Authentication Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, there! I was sent over from the microsoft community to ask a question here, regarding Free Teams and it requiring me (the Team Owner), and all those I invite (who also have consumer emails) to authenticate accounts. While we went through the process it indicated having to authenticate using the mobile app. But at the end we get a screen that states we have temporary access for 14 days temporary access during which we have to authenticate. The "learn more" link it provides takes me to a webpage about MFA authentication with Azure, for school and business accounts. 

I am neither of those things. I do have a 365 account (personal/home), not business, but tech support says that shouldn't be an issue since I'm using Free Teams. I've been on live chats, phone calls, and the forums, and everyone seems stumped as to why this is happening, and how to get around it so we don't keep getting this error.

Hope someone has some ideas on what's happening here and how to fix it. I keep getting sent to different departments, forums, and the like, but no one has a clue, so far. Teams is pretty much useless to us, at the moment, until we can fix this. Thanks, in advance!

Saturday, July 4, 2020 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I appreciate this is annoying, and I have had the same pop-ups.

As I use Teams to message my friends alreaey, I could not risk being locked out. The business account thing did confuse me, but I guess it's because Teams free is supposed to be used in a business setting. 

Although it does say work or school authentication, I was able to click Use mobile app on the first screen. After that, I clicked Receive and approve notifications via the app.

Teams then prompted me to download the Microsoft Authenticator app, and I scanned the QR code on the screen.

N.B. Although it seems strange, when adding the QR Code to the app, you have to click work or school account. This will not convert your account to a work account or anything like that. 

Finally, I followed the on-screen instructions to enter the code displayed in the app on Teams.

N.B. If the counting down number near the code says something like 3, wait until it gets to 0 and generates a new code.

This way, you will have more time to enter the correct code. 

After this, you're all set but I recommend you also add your phone number (any number will work) as a backup verification option as if you lose access to the app without any backup options set up, you will be locked out of Teams. 

If you can't find the pop-up now, log out of Teams, click Sign up for free and login with your consumer account. Then, it should appear as it did before. 

Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:20 AM
  • OMG thank you so much! It worked for me, and now I'm just waiting to see if it works for the other Team members. If it does, I'll mark this as answered. (If not, I may have more questions! But let's hope it works!)
    Sunday, July 5, 2020 4:22 PM