Shutting down a child domain. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have 3 domains. One parent (empty forest root domain) and two child domains. We are shutting down one of the domains and completely removing it from AD.

We have one Exchange Org in mixed mode. One domain (the one that is staying ) is Exchange 2010. The other is exchange 2003.

I am not sure about how to deal with the Public Folders.

The plan is

A) Uninstall Exchange from their OWA server and delete it from System Manager B)

B) Disconnect all user mailboxes

C) Dismount the public folder store and then delete it through System Manager

d) Dismount and delete all the user stores

E) Uninstall Exchange from their mail server.

If I dismount and delete the public folder store through SysMan will those changes be replicated through the organization?

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

• If you dont need data and all users have been moved from Exch 2003 to Exch 2010, and you dont have Outlook 2003 clients, then you can move the PF DB.  If you have Outlook 2003 clients around then you need a PF for F/B and OAB.
    Sukh
    • Marked as answer by Sam Booka Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:13 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:59 PM

All replies

• Do you want to keep the PF data or not?  If you do then replicate to the 2010 server. Then remove 2003 from the replica list and then remove the 2003 PF DB.

Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Friday, December 2, 2011 9:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sam Booka Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Hi,

First please let me clarify the issue with you:

Remove Exchange Server from the current organization,but keep public folder on the other Exchange Server, is that ture?

Then please ensure that you have add pulbic folder replica on the other exchange server and wait for the public folder replication. After you can see all the public folder and content from the other Exchange Server, then you can try to dismiss the Exchange Server.

By the way, what is the exchange server in the "shutting child domain" front-end or back-end?

More related information to share with you:

Public Folder Replication – Troubleshooting Basics

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/public-folder-replication-troubleshooting.html

How to remove the first Exchange Server 2003 computer from the administrative group

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931 

Xiu

• Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Friday, December 2, 2011 9:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sam Booka Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:20 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

So we dont need to keep any of the data in the public folders that are replicated on that server. I woudl like to manually go through and delete the folders when they are no longer needed.

So I guess my real question is: Once all the users in that domain have been disconnected from exchange is it safe to take the PF DB offline then delete it or will this break things (Forms, Address books etc) throughout the rest of the org?

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

With Exchange 2003, we may have system public folder which contains free/busy &OAB.

So please verify if you will still have Exchange 2003 server.

If yes, then I think you may move replicas to other exchange 2003 server.

If not, you can try to delete PF database.

Xiu

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 2, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Our child domain is Exchange 2010.

Their child domain is Exchange 2003.

Their child domain will be shut down and all users/mailboxes deleted.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:22 PM
  • If you dont need data and all users have been moved from Exch 2003 to Exch 2010, and you dont have Outlook 2003 clients, then you can move the PF DB.  If you have Outlook 2003 clients around then you need a PF for F/B and OAB.
    Sukh
    • Marked as answer by Sam Booka Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:13 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:59 PM