No paging file or the paging file is too small (Compact Flash) RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting an error saying "No paging file or the paging file is too small."  No matter what I change the paging file to, it only sees 0.  I have tried setting a custom size, system size, etc.  I have tried this is Safe Mode.  I have made sure the the system account has full control of the volume. 

When I go to the screen where you set the paging file size, it now shows a custom size with a minumum of 2048 and a maximum of 2048 on drive C:.  However, at the bottom of the screen, it says that 0MB is currently allocated.

Here is a little background that may or may not be useful.  This is not a PC.  It is an HMI device that runs a piece of manufacturing equipment.  Windows XP is installed on a compact flash card.  It had an OEM license on it.  I recently did an upgrade to a volume license of Windows XP.  I used the upgrade method to leave the other software intact.  The machine has 1GB of RAM.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:08 AM

Answers

• I found out the problem.  Apparently, there are two types of compact flash card.  One type is meant to work as a removable device.  These are the ones you normally see in the electronics section at the store.  The second type is meant to work more like a hard drive.  Those are about 10x the price of the removable type and generally have to be special ordered.

I ordered the correct type of CF and cloned the image from my original CF.  I put it in the HMI device and it now boots fine.  The page file is working the way it is supposed to.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:43 PM

All replies

• I just looked at the root of C: and noticed that there is no pagefile.sys.  I tried copying another file to pagefile.sys and then deleting it, in case it wasn't showing for some reason. (Yes, I am viewing Hidden and System files.)  Windows should create a new pagefile.sys but it is not being created.  That makes me wonder if there is another missing permission from the volume.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:32 AM
  • What is the capacity of the CF?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 2:58 PM
  • It is 8GB with about 4.5GB free.  This is the same CF card that was in it before I di the Windows upgrade though.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Can I assume since you mentioned that you set the size, you set it for something such as 1024 minimum and 2048 maximum i.e. a different min than max?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Also, what is the manufacturer of the motherboard?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 4:10 PM
  • I have tried a bunch of different settings.  If I enter a custom size, I always set the min and max the same.  The last thing I tried was to set it at 2048MB.

I'm not sure about the motherboard.  The device is made by Advantech.  Here is the manual though.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Wait a second.  The manual shows Windows CE as the OS.  This would explain why you can't set a Pagefile if the Emedded OS has it turned off in the image build.

If it truly is Windows XP...a commercial install as opposed to an Embedded build such as XPe or WES 2009...then go ahead and try setting the min and max to different values such as Min 1024 and Max 2048.  Just to see how it reacts.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:26 PM
  • I did an upgrade to WinXP Pro with a volume license.  I just placed one of the original CF cards back into the machine.  It has the original image.  It shows WinXP Pro also.

I have tried every different combination for the paging file and it always comes back the same.  It will show the size that I entered, but it will show 0MB currently allocated.  I would send a screenshot, but I think my flash drive just died.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Sorry to ask this, but it happened to me too...are you pressing the "Set" button before closing the dialog via the "OK" button?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Just my 2 cents, but based on some research on the internet the hardware was built specifically for Windows CE.  Although I could not find anything specifically, there are several references that imply Windows XP is not fully compatible with the Windows CE hardware.

The manufacturer of the hardware would have to be consulted to clarify this, but if the hardware is not fully compatible with Windows XP, you will encounter many problems trying to run XP on this hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Sorry to ask this, but it happened to me too...are you pressing the "Set" button before closing the dialog via the "OK" button?

Yes. After I reboot, it keeps the settings that I entered.  It just isn't using those settings.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Rick, I think you may be right.  I will try to find out who our support contact is for that device.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Something else I thought of after my previous post - page files on any solid state memory device is neither recommended nor necessary.  I came across this information in the OCZ forums when I first started playing with SSD's about 5 years ago.  Page files increase the read/write wear on the SSD and do not aid the overall performance of the OS.

The info @ http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?43460-Making-XP-pro-SSD-friendly is about tweaking XP to be SSD friendly.

Some more tweaking info @ http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?47244-XP32-64-SSD-Windows-Registry-Tweaks

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:24 PM
  • I found out the problem.  Apparently, there are two types of compact flash card.  One type is meant to work as a removable device.  These are the ones you normally see in the electronics section at the store.  The second type is meant to work more like a hard drive.  Those are about 10x the price of the removable type and generally have to be special ordered.

I ordered the correct type of CF and cloned the image from my original CF.  I put it in the HMI device and it now boots fine.  The page file is working the way it is supposed to.

Chad L. Hutson
    Owner, CPU Vet
    www.cpuvet.com

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:43 PM