none
Major network redesign - need help - in over my head RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

I browse Technet all the time, I find it a great source of education. 

So I'm a new IT Professional less than 2 years experience and most of that experience was Help Desk level troubleshooting.  Network Connectivity, break-fix work, virus removal, etc.  I have been brought in on some intermediate to high skill level tasks as an assistant to a senior network technician.  I've learned alot and am eager to learn more. 

I have been hired at a great place to work and was given the title of System Administrator.  I have been assigned the task of spearheading our migration to the cloud.  Way above my pay grade.

We just purchased two other offices out of state.  1 is on a domain the other is not and in house we are on a domain. First order of business is to get us all on one domain and use the cloud server as our DC if possible.

If any of you fellow IT personnel out there have done something similar to this or have advice on what you feel is the best practice to approach this please enlighten me.  It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:51 PM

Answers

• First order of business is to get us all on one domain and use the cloud server as our DC if possible.

What you want is a VPN connection between the "HQ" and the other locations.

This can be done by the ISP (If they all have the same). Or with for example Cisco VPN routers. This will put everything into the same network.

Also a great idea to add is a second DC in the branch-office.

• Edited by J. Dalstra Friday, March 29, 2013 6:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Green_One Tuesday, April 2, 2013 1:35 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 6:10 PM

All replies

• First order of business is to get us all on one domain and use the cloud server as our DC if possible.

What you want is a VPN connection between the "HQ" and the other locations.

This can be done by the ISP (If they all have the same). Or with for example Cisco VPN routers. This will put everything into the same network.

Also a great idea to add is a second DC in the branch-office.

• Edited by J. Dalstra Friday, March 29, 2013 6:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Green_One Tuesday, April 2, 2013 1:35 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Thank you for your help.  I believe we are all have the same ISP.  I started a week ago and am still learning the ins and outs of our infrastructure. 

We have some equipment we can re-purpose as a DC in the branch office that's a workgroup I had planned on doing that at some point.  But for the office that already has a DC would I have to demote it so there isn't any conflict with ours?  How would I get all the offices to talk with the DC in the cloud?

Thank you

Friday, March 29, 2013 7:45 PM
  • First answer this: Do all computers require AD login? HQ/Branch?

secondly,

an AD infrastructure can  have multiple DC's.

what you want to have is something like this:

so what you wanna do is link the DC on the branchoffice with the DC on your HQ.

when using a VPN everything goes into the same network. so a computer from the "branch office" can ping to a computer on the "HQ".

• Edited by J. Dalstra Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:59 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Thank you. I established a VPN to the cloud from our "HQ", I'm going to install a firewall device at the one branch thats in the workgroup and today I'll establish the VPN from the other branch office we have that is in a domain.  I plan on establishing 3 vpns to the cloud.  One from each office and migrate the date from all our offices to the cloud while keeping it locally stored also.  I will then set up VPN's between our offices to allow for a backup plan.
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 1:39 PM
  • you can easly synchronize data between your "CLOUD" and the "LOCAL SERVER" with a feature thats called DFS Manegment
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732006.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770278.aspx

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:07 AM