locked
Windows Server 2016 AppV packages not loading RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I am testing Windows Server 2016 with the integrated AppV Client at the moment. I have enabled the Client with the Enable-AppV command.

    If I'm loading AppV-Packages (Add-AppvClientPackage xyz.appv | Publish-AppvClientPackage) the following error occurs:

    Publish-AppvClientPackage : Application Virtualization Service failed to complete requested operation.
    Operation attempted: Publish AppV Package.
    AppV Error Code: 0480070002.
    Error module: Virtualization Manager. Internal error detail: 4FC0C70480070002.
    Please consult AppV Client Event Log for more details.
    At line:1 char:52
    + ... vClientPackage .\xyz.appv | Publish-AppvClientPackage
    +                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [Publish-AppvClientPackage], ClientException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PublishPackageError,Microsoft.AppV.AppvClientPowerShell.PublishAppvPackage

    There are no errors logged at all in the AppV-Client eventlog.

    I tested AppV-packages created from my old environemt (Sequencer 5.0.1) and newly created packages with the newest Sequencer (10.0.15063.0) on Windows Server 2016. The same error occurs. Oddly enough some few old packages are working though. 

    I found an article where the error code is mentioned. The solutions is to use an englisch Sequencer without language pack. I'm using only English components.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Regards
    Tobias



    • Edited by Phoenix585 Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:21 AM

All replies

  • 02 error refers to file not found. In the Add-Appvclientpackage are you passing the path to the .appv file correctly? Have you checked for eventviewer App-V logs by enabling debug logs?

    Can you try providing the path correctly instead of .\ to direct or UNC path within ""



    (Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

    MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

    app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com


    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Does it work in other machine?

    (Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

    MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

    app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Hello,

    thanks for the feedback.

    Yes, I'm parsing the file correctly (Add-AppvClientPackage -Path C:\temp\app.appv, Publish-AppvClientPackage -Name appname),  

    The package is added correctly without any errors. The problem occurs, if i publish the application. With the old AppV Client on Windows 2008R2 everything is working fine.

    I think maybe there is a problem with the integrated AppV Client on Server 2016. In the eventlog I can find the following messages as information (not error or warning):

    A request for the file C:\ProgramData\App-V\C36F6FE8-5435-442A-B08D-E0929B3EE612\7657B59D-8A5D-43F7-8765-3FE9AACAFEF8\Root\VFS from process 0xec4 is being processed as an alternate user S-1-5-21-2927229341-2904322588-1957494758-38471.

    and

    IAppVClient::PublishPackage COM method exited. Unspecified error

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!


    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Please enable the debug log and reproduce the issue.

    Roy Essers

    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:20 PM
  • If I add the package successfully, some debug logs are logged, bu unfortunately there are no debug events logged at all, when I publish the package with the described error. 

    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Hi, what a coincidence... I'm facing the exact same error as soon as I want to publish the application. We are currently in a test phase with XA7 and server 2016. The applications do work on our old environment (XA6/Server2008R2 or Win7SP1x64), and also on Win10 1607. The affected packages are Adobe Reader 11, Acrobat Pro 11, and SAP GUI 7.4. 
    It seems to be related to a SxS assembly (vcredist 2008x86) (so chech if that's aso the case with your packages). As soon as I remove them from the package, I'm able to publish the app... Ofc this is not an option. I created a tracelog, and the only error was indeed: Unspecified error at the end.
    I did not have time to investigate the issue further this week, but I will do next week. As soon as I know more, I'll share my findings.

    Roy Essers

    Friday, May 12, 2017 8:34 AM
  • OK, it took some time before I could track the issue. Check if you have disabled the "Windows Module Installer" (Trusted Installer) Service. That was the case in our server 2016 image. The image is heavily customized, after sysprep we run some additional scripts before sealing the disk. For atm unknown reason we added the command to disable this service at startup. After setting it back to automatic, the problem was solved.
    As I said, only packages with SxS assemblies got broken.
     

    Roy Essers

    • Proposed as answer by Roy Essers Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:24 PM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:24 PM