problem with pdf embeded in word RRS feed

• Question

• i have one word file which contain embedded pdf file in it the problem is when i open pdf file it gives me error like "The server application,source file,or item cannot be found.Make sure the application is properly installed,and that it has not been deleted,moved or blocked by policy".  i have acrobat xi pro installed in my computer.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Sohel,

In Office, any attempts to open an embedded file for which the relevant application is not available will cause this error message.

So I'd suggest investigating from the "relevant application" side first. Is Adobe Acrobat XI the default program of .pdf files? Please try to repair Adobe Acrobat, this will recreate the registry keys and copy the approriate files into system again (Or simply remove and reinstall the latest version) and then check again.

Please also try in Word Safe Mode, and see if issue persists. Some third party add-ins might also cause this issue:

Press Win + R and type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, then press Enter.

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Friday, October 17, 2014 4:59 AM
  • thanks for reply Ethan i have tried to remove and reinstall the adobe acrobat xi and it is my default application for pdf file but still the problem is same.
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried in safe mode? This will help check whether any Add-in, COM lead to this issue...

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:56 AM