Enterprise Email Missing From Folders. RRS feed

• Question

• I am an IT analyst and have an issue with Outlook o365 enterprise edition. I been getting reports from clients that their emails that are saved in folders are missing. The emails seem to be older then a year. The archive option is not turned on, the emails have just been saved in a folder that they made in Outlook. 

I checked to see if they have any clean up settings set in Outlook, but I do not see that active.

Any idea's?

Michael Peterson

SMWE

Friday, October 30, 2015 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please make sure the sync filter is set to 24 months or All, or you will not see any emails older than 12 months in Outlook:

You can also refer to this link below and follow the mentioned steps to recover these emails:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Recover-deleted-items-in-Outlook-for-Windows-49e81f3c-c8f4-4426-a0b9-c0fd751d48ce

By the way, please let the users search the missing emails in Outlook, check if the emails can still be found. If yes, possibly it is just a view issue, let the users run Outlook with the switch "/cleanviews" to check the result:

Press Win + R, type "outlook.exe /cleanviews" in the Run window, press Enter.

Outlook will start and reset default view, all custom views you created will be lost, check the result again.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please make sure the sync filter is set to 24 months or All, or you will not see any emails older than 12 months in Outlook:

You can also refer to this link below and follow the mentioned steps to recover these emails:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Recover-deleted-items-in-Outlook-for-Windows-49e81f3c-c8f4-4426-a0b9-c0fd751d48ce

By the way, please let the users search the missing emails in Outlook, check if the emails can still be found. If yes, possibly it is just a view issue, let the users run Outlook with the switch "/cleanviews" to check the result:

Press Win + R, type "outlook.exe /cleanviews" in the Run window, press Enter.

Outlook will start and reset default view, all custom views you created will be lost, check the result again.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 7:57 AM
  • Thank you for your answer. It was the correct one. Once I changed the settings, the email started to return to the folder.

Thank you.

Michael Peterson

SMWE

Michael Peterson SMWE

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:52 PM