none
Setting up MS Project Server on a company LAN RRS feed

• Question

• How do you go about setting up MS Project Server 2003 on a LAN system to doa resource pool across the company? It asked for an address for the server and there isn't one. Is there a work around to make this work?
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Souless1

I need more detail about what you are doing.

Once you setup project, you have to open project professional and add an account to access the server.  When project server is installed on server, you should have an address to use.  That is the address to use.

Cheers!

MIchael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Is MS Project Server software included in MS Project Professional, or do I need additional software? I've been trying to follow MSPP help files on setting up a resource pool for our company so we can avoid double booking our resources, but I haven't been able to set up an enterprise account for our company on our server.

I'm much more a hardware guy than a software person, so I'm having a difficult time following the convolutions of the help files. Is there a better resource for this?

Thanks for the help. 

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Hi Souless1,

No, Project Server is not included in the MS Project Professional. Project Server itself is a separate product which provides a wealth of benefits, including a single consolidated enterprise resource pool. The implementation of PS is not a trivial task and requires a fair bit of planning across how it will work in the business, but the outcomes are well worth it. You can read more on Project Server and it's benefits at http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/project-server-2010.aspx.

If all you have is Project Professional 2003, you can create a limited resource pool using the Share Resources feature. This allows you to build a resource pool within a project schedule and to share that pool over a number of project schedules. You can read more on this at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/create-a-resource-pool-for-sharing-resources-across-projects-HP045303641.aspx

Hope this helps

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:46 PM