Office 2010 : Disabling Add-Ins feature RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way to disable the Add-Ins feature in Excel/Word/PPT Options window, so the users cannot remove any existing Add-In?

Regards,

Annette.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please follow the steps, and your Office 2010 will run smoother.

1. Click "File" tab, and choose "Options". The "Options" window will be opened up, and click "Add-Ins" from left sidebar.

2. Select the type of add-ins you want to disable from "Manage" dropdown box at the bottom of the windows. Click "Go" to open a dialog.

3. In the dialog you can uncheck any add-ins to disable them.

4. Click "OK" to save the setting.

You have already finished the work to disable add-ins in Office 2010. Remember to restart Office 2010 program to make all the changes happened.

Sincerely,

Harry 

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Harry Yuan Monday, February 21, 2011 8:30 AM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Harry.

However, what i actually wanted was a way to disable the "Add-ins" feature itself in the left sidebar, in the Options window, not a specific Add-In. So that no other users(other than the Administrator of the PC), could add or remove any specific Add-In.

Please let me know if my query is unclear.

Thanks,

Annette.

Monday, February 21, 2011 6:08 AM
  • Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The mentioned link helps in disabling the tabs which are in the backstage menu. However i am trying to disable the tabs within the Excel Options window. Is there a way we could do that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Annette.

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:22 AM
  • Thank you Harry

the trick with the add ins helped me a lot

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Annette,

Did you find an answer to this ? I have a Cognos for Office Add-in that disables itself at times and im looking to prevent this recurring or indeed the users disabling..

Cheers

Jen

Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:14 AM
  • Other than by rewriting its code there is no way you can keep an Add-In from disabling itself. Sloppily-written Add-Ins have been the source of much grief for users over the years (including some from major software producers). I would be very careful taking away the ability to disable them.

Add-Ins in Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:29 PM