none
SharePoint 2016 Custom role RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guy's,

I have been asked if i can build a SharePoint 2016 farm with only a Single server and a seperate SQL server, but they want the ability to be able to add other SharePoint servers at a later date should they require?

Does the Custom role support this so i can add the Dist cache, search, WFE and app server roles, (I know the singleserver role does not allow the addition of extra servers (unless i am mistaken)) The method i would use would be the new roles from the feature pack combined so as to have 2 servers min. But they don't like that. I can't seem to find out if this will work. Any Help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Grizzly

john adams

Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:50 PM

All replies

• I know this is an older post, but since there are no other responses, I figure I might as well post this response in hopes that it might help someone (even if the OP already got it sorted)...

Not sure what the "official" best practice is for a scenario like this, but I can tell you that I am running a SharePoint 2016 test farm with one SQL box hosting the DBs, and a single SharePoint box provisioned with the "custom" role which is hosting all SharePoint sites, services/service apps, web apps, distributed cache, search, etc. Its been working great for a few years now. However I have not attempted to add any more servers to the farm but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I believe you are correct that the SingleServerFarm role will not allow for adding more servers; however, from what I understand, we can change the role assignment later if needed (so even if provisioned using SingleServerFarm we could change it to Custom in the future) - a quick Google reveals this thread which indicates the same. However I have not personally tested this (haven't had to change a server role on a SP2016 server) so I couldn't comment as to possible issues that may arise or things to watch out for while doing this.

Personally, in your situation I would probably provision it with the custom role, since this gives you the most flexibility to provision the services you want to now, as well as being able to add more servers in the future without having to change the server role. Plus this gives you the most control over exactly which services run on which servers, without having to worry about "MinRole compliance" or having it automatically spin up some service that you don't want running on a particular box.

Sunday, June 2, 2019 11:26 PM