COMPUTER HAS FAKE VISTA- HAVE GENUINE REG KEY, HOW DO I CHANGE MY VERSION TO FULL LEGAL VERSION? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I bought a computer in Thailand with Vista on it. Turns out the Vista is a non-authentic version. Im not sure what this means (cracked Im guessing?) problem is I let people use the internet on my computer in my coffee shop and there has been a recent crackdown on fake microsoft packages with stiff fines for culprits (a local shop just like mine was hit with a $3000 fine)
    My friend has sent me a genuine, legal registration key for the package.
    Now how do I go about removing the bad version and replacing it with the new legal version?
    Can I do it without a CD?
    If I just go to softpedia and download a trial version and then enter the full version activation key, will my version then be a full, legal version?

I am sorry if the answer to these questions seems simple, I am real novice in the computer world
    Dan
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,
          If it is the same version of Vista, and you now have a legitimate key for it. You should be able to install the product key and activate without having to reinstall. (Please note, that I am not a licensing expert and do not know the 100% legalities and all the details of your issue)

You can install the new product key by doing the following:

1)  Start - Type in "CMD" and then right click and Run As Administrator
    2)  Type "slmgr -ipk <product key goes here with the -  >" and press Enter (Should tell you that your product key was installed successfully
    3)  Type "slmgr -ato" and press Enter - Should Activate

Tanner
    --- This is posted as-is and has no warranty or guarantee ---
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:51 AM