none
Factory Reset of SBS 2011 Standard

Question

• I'm wanting to de-commision an old HP Proliant ML350p Gen8 server we have replaced with a newer server. We have already dban'd the data drives, so they are clean.

I now want to format/restore the server boot drive with SBS 2011 Standard as it was supplied to us when originally purchased from our HP re-seller. The problem is that recovery/repair media that HP will supply only goes back to Server 2012. They don't have any option to request earlier media.

Does anyone have any better ways I can do this? Am I best to try and format the boot drive and rebuild the OS from a SBS 2011 - Server Console backup? Or is the image of SBS 2011 Standard still available somewhere out there?

Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

> I now want to format/restore the server boot drive with SBS 2011 Standard as it was supplied to us when originally purchased from our HP re-seller.
    If it is OEM version, system pre-installed when purchased the hardware, then, it is recommended to contact the hardware provider to obtain the installation medium.

As far as I know, TechNet or MSDN subscriptions provide the ISO file for download if you have the available subscription ID, however, it provides retail version which may not be activated if your device is OEM. Also, in general, OEM is pre-activated and the active key is burned to its motherboard. 

There is a blog “Where to download SBS2011 Standard for Installation”, however, as SBS is old and has been replaced with WSE, the link provided by the blog is no longer available:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uspartner_ts2team/2011/01/28/where-to-download-sbs2011-standard-for-installation/

If possible, you may try to contact the Microsoft Customer Service (Post-Sale) and confirm with them if they can provide you a replacement about the ISO file, purchase credential such as invoice may be needed.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 27, 2019 12:48 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:42 AM