none
AutoRestartShell not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.   We're looking to deploy a POSReady 2009 image to run in kiosk mode.   I've set the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and changed Shell to iexplore.exe.   the reg key, same branch, AutoRestartShell is set to 1.   However, IE does not restart when closed. 

Is there something else I need to do for POSReady 2009 ?

JC

JC
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• JC,

AutoRestartShell = 1 is designed to restart the shell if it crashes and shuts down unexpectedly, but if you are manually closing it or pressing ALT+F4 to close it the application is not shutting down unexpectedly and thus will not auto restart.   

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939703.aspx

Please be more specific as to how you are testing this behavior, if in fact IE is shutting down unexpectedly. 

There was also a blog article written about this a while back for Windows Embedded and it would apply equally to POSReady.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/embedded/archive/2005/03/30/403999.aspx

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Terry.  

I was testing closing the shell (IE as the shell) with ALT-F4, so no, it would not be unexpected; just the normal close app function.   And I did read the 2nd article, written by Matt Kellner.   I feel his last paragraph is poorly written, saying it simply restarts the shell and then in brackets pulls it all back and says this might not actually be the case with IE :(

In the end I just grabbed some VB and made it my shell for my autologon user :

HKEY_USERS\%AUTOLOGONUSERSID%\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Shell=c:\windows\system32\wscript c:\windows\system32\restartIE.vbs

with restartIE.vbs :

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Do While True
     WshShell.Run """C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"" -k", 1, True
    Loop

JC
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:07 PM
  • JC,

I am glad that you found a solution that will work for you.  I would also like to tell you about a feature coming in POSReady 7 this summer that would also address this issue.  We are introducting a Keyboard Filter that will block specific key combinations such as CTRL+ALT+DEL, ALT+F4, WIN+L, etc.  You can even configure custom key combinations that you want to block.  With this capability you would not need to implement the AutoRestartShell capabilities to address the ALT+F4 as you described.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Excellent, thanks for the heads up, Terry.   JC

JC
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi Terry,

I change the Shell in Winlogon to an application I made. On exit of this application I reset the shell to "explorer.exe" and do a Process.Start("explorer.exe"). I get the Windows tiles back but when I open any Windows 8 app I get the message to restart file explorer normally. Can I set the shell back to explorer.exe and restart shell programmatically?

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:54 AM