Windows Easy Transfer from XP to Win 7 (64 bit) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    Im hoping someone may be able to help please.  I have used Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from my laptop (running XP) to an external hard drive.  I then transferred from the external hard drive to my PC (running Windows 7).  My problem is that all of my transferred files are now "read only", despite "unchecking" the "read only" box for the whole folder and despite trying to set up the network with shared folders (this is another issue in itself which I need to post ie setting up the network between the PC and the laptop as again there is sharing issues :-)).

Can anyone please shed some light - any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Krishnkarl
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:27 AM

Answers

• Follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1:

To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Vista or Windows 7

1.      Click Start, click Run, type cmd and then press ENTER.

2.      To view the syntax for the Attrib command, type attrib /? at the command prompt.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove both the Read-only and the System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r -s c:\test

If the Run command is not listed on the Start menu, do the following:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories and then click Run.

For further reference check the article mentioned below.

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Hope this information is helpful.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, January 15, 2010 7:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:35 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:02 PM

All replies

• Review step 4 to make sure you followed the instructions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7.  If you are wanting to setup sharing between xp/vista/windows 7 plus share printers, here's a pretty good graphical guide for you. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Thanks so much for your very speedy reply - I really appreciate it!  I will give it a go and see what happens. 

Kind regards,
    Krishnkarl
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Hi there again,

Just went through your "review of step 4" above, realised that is what I did initially, but did it again.  Still no success - files are still read only (eg in MS Word, Excel etc).  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your time.

Krishnkarl

Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1:

To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Vista or Windows 7

1.      Click Start, click Run, type cmd and then press ENTER.

2.      To view the syntax for the Attrib command, type attrib /? at the command prompt.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove both the Read-only and the System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r -s c:\test

If the Run command is not listed on the Start menu, do the following:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories and then click Run.

For further reference check the article mentioned below.

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Hope this information is helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, January 15, 2010 7:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:35 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Thank you very much - will give it a go, I appreciate your very detailed reply. 
    Kind regards,
    Krishnkarl
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:48 AM