Azure RMS and FCI Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question about workflow for Azure RMS and FCI.  Here is the scenario:

1)  FCI is configured with shares, runs a classification job, then encrypts using the script provided by MS

2)  I have configured that the file is encrypted, and that there is an owner user and that user has full control to the document

Here is what I am noticing. As a user, I create file in word and save that file to the FCI share.  It gets encrypted.  I then go to open the file and the "rights management application" comes up.  I am told that I have full permission and then I click "open".  When I open, word opens the file in a "read-only" format.  I can "save-as" but I cannot update the original document.  Is this by design?  What is the anticipated user workflow in this case?  Everytime I want to edit a document I need to open it, save it as a new name, and delete the original?  Am I doing something wrong?

FYI: I have determined that the read-only bit is not set on this file. Also, the rights sharing app was installed BEFORE office 2013 was installed.  The document is a docx file originally, but, after encryption it is a .pfile.

Thanks

--Shamir

Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:39 PM

All replies

• That IS odd. The protected file should still be a DOCX file
    Are you using the sample script?
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/mt601315(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_RMSProtection_Script

If you protect the file via the RMS Protection Tools cmdlets manually do you see the same thing?

Saturday, November 21, 2015 1:09 AM
  • Hi Eddie,

I really apologize for the late response.  Yes I am using the script in the link you sent.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:00 PM
  • Hi Eddie,

I am still having this issue.  Any suggestions?

I have also tried running the script manually.  The docx file still becomes a pfile.

Do I need to have office installed on the FCI box for this to work correctly?

EDIT:  So I had a look at the registry, it seems like I have a entry for * that is encryption:PFile, and no other entries.  Is installing the RMS Protection Tool supposed to set registry settings for office, etc?
    • Edited by ShamirC Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:04 PM