none
What should be the position for the change manager RRS feed

• Question

• In the meeting we've had to formulate the Team SMF we had an interesting discussion on the position of the change manager. In the final version the change manager ended up in the Management Team. Which is a good position. In the discussion the Change manager role was also considered in the Service Team (where the change manager can balance the planning and execution of teams with the different interests of the customers), the Compliance team (where the change manager can control if changes are executed compliant with the rules and guidelines of the organization) or the Solutions Team (where the change manager is responsible for the actual execution of changes).
    There is something to say for all four positions and I am curious to find out what your opinions are. It might depend on the kind of organization and I'll like to know what the criteria would be. What would be a good position for the Change Manager in an IT organization and why?

Paul Leenards
    Getronics Consulting
    • Edited by ITMaturity Tuesday, May 6, 2008 8:11 PM used the wrong name
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul, 

Wow, this was a great meeting :) 
    So, I think that Change Manager, like other Managers, need a team that to be present on all teams, for instance a General Team, this team will be part of any other teams. But, on MOF 4.0 Approach I think that Change Manager have to be part of Management Team because stay in focus with planning. 

This is that I think, 
    Good post.

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project
    www.clebermarques.com
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Hi,
    in my experience (9 out of 10 times) the Management Team is where the Change Manager is positioned.
    In certain larger organizations, there are Change Managers and Global Change Managers also, where the roles are divided into the Management Team (GCM) and something similar to the Service Team (CM).

rgds/Klaus
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Why should the change manager be part of the management team? In my experience the change manager should someone who:
     - Is knowledgeable
     - Can manage people
     - Is persuasive
     - etc.

This can be a project manager as well, who is very often definitely not part of the management team.

I think the person you are looking for is someone with the right capabilities, not the one with the right function.

Rob.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 11:26 PM
  • MOF Folks,

Have you looked at it from both the Process Owner and Manager roles standpoint? The Change Manager is the person responsbile for the day-to-day execution of the Change Management process, including making decisions (approving or rejecting changes), evaluating, or escalating to CAB/EC, etc.. This role  persona should demonstrate strong leadership skills and i agree that he/she should be very involved (probably in the technial side as well). The Change Manager role should penetrate across all virtual service teams to ensure the execution as per the Change MGMT process agreed. I have seen some interesting implementations of Change Management in the financial industry. They established a CMO, Change Management Office. It is outside the IT deparment, whose Manager reports directly to the CEO. They take care of Major Changes of course, including upgrading ATM windows operating system from XP to Vista for instance.

While the Process Owner, as in Change Management process Owner, is responsible for measuring the performance and the effectiveness of the process and suggests solutions for improvments.

Here in the Middle East for example, the word "manager" has an impact. It could be tighed to a Manager position, which is more powerful than just a virtual role.

cheers,

Khalid Hakim | IT Operations Consultant | MOF Trainer | ITIL Service Manager | ISO20000 Consultant | MSF Practitioner | PMP
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul, 

Wow, this was a great meeting :) 
    So, I think that Change Manager, like other Managers, need a team that to be present on all teams, for instance a General Team, this team will be part of any other teams. But, on MOF 4.0 Approach I think that Change Manager have to be part of Management Team because stay in focus with planning. 

This is that I think, 
    Good post.

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project
    www.clebermarques.com
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Hi,
    in my experience (9 out of 10 times) the Management Team is where the Change Manager is positioned.
    In certain larger organizations, there are Change Managers and Global Change Managers also, where the roles are divided into the Management Team (GCM) and something similar to the Service Team (CM).

rgds/Klaus
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Hi Klaus,
    I think that your vision is very good because the Change Manager have some tasks that depends on business size, like a small business have a Manager to manage many teams in same time, Here on Brazil many Business has only one manager for Change, Service and Solutions Teams.

Best Regards

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project
    www.clebermarques.com
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Hi Cleber and Klaus,

Thanks for your answers. I have an additional question: who else should be in the Management Team? Should the Operations Manager and the Support Manager be part of the Management Team? What should be the goal of the Management Team (BTW i preferred the name Executive team personally for this team, to prevent mistaking the virtual team or accountability with the regural management team).

In my experience the Change Manager is mostly not member of the Management Team but a staff function reporting to either a manager responsible for processes or one of the IT managers that are in the management team. I'm not saying this is good, but that this is often the case in many organizations in the Netherlands.

Regards,

Paul Leenards
    Getronics Consulting

Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:36 AM
  • Hi Paul, 
    Thank you for sharing your vision from Netherlands :) 

Here in Brazil many Business maintain the same person for this two roles (Change and Operation), but this is a cultural question too, not only size question, what you think about this? BTW in some BIG Business I find one person to each role. In my opinion this roles needs to be always separated, this is more arranged. Finally, the goal of the Management Team have to be maintain the organizational environment aligned (IT + Business).

Regards,

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project
    www.clebermarques.com
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:56 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Why should the change manager be part of the management team? In my experience the change manager should someone who:
     - Is knowledgeable
     - Can manage people
     - Is persuasive
     - etc.

This can be a project manager as well, who is very often definitely not part of the management team.

I think the person you are looking for is someone with the right capabilities, not the one with the right function.

Rob.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Hi Rob, 

I understand your opinion and I agree too. This vision add value to us discussion because there is a point about Management Team. Really this qualities are of a Project Manager, but the Change Manager should have some more technical knowledge too, no deep technical knowledge, but like a link between Support/Service Manager and Project Manager = Change Manager. What you think about this? and you guys?

Best regards

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project
    www.clebermarques.com
    Friday, May 9, 2008 11:52 AM
  • MOF Folks,

Have you looked at it from both the Process Owner and Manager roles standpoint? The Change Manager is the person responsbile for the day-to-day execution of the Change Management process, including making decisions (approving or rejecting changes), evaluating, or escalating to CAB/EC, etc.. This role  persona should demonstrate strong leadership skills and i agree that he/she should be very involved (probably in the technial side as well). The Change Manager role should penetrate across all virtual service teams to ensure the execution as per the Change MGMT process agreed. I have seen some interesting implementations of Change Management in the financial industry. They established a CMO, Change Management Office. It is outside the IT deparment, whose Manager reports directly to the CEO. They take care of Major Changes of course, including upgrading ATM windows operating system from XP to Vista for instance.

While the Process Owner, as in Change Management process Owner, is responsible for measuring the performance and the effectiveness of the process and suggests solutions for improvments.

Here in the Middle East for example, the word "manager" has an impact. It could be tighed to a Manager position, which is more powerful than just a virtual role.

cheers,

Khalid Hakim | IT Operations Consultant | MOF Trainer | ITIL Service Manager | ISO20000 Consultant | MSF Practitioner | PMP
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Hi Rob,
    well I guess the answer to the position of the Change manager depends also on the cultural/social situation.
    Of course the right capabilities are required (pre-assumed), and what I see in the Scandinavian region is that a Change Manager in a management position is able to drive and deliver on his/hers capabilities much more efficiently. People are expecting someone with a mandate to drive change decisions, and in our region sometimes that means - the Management team. When speaking to technicians they are not always happy with persuasive peers/colleagues, they want management to issue direction or take decisions. I know this sounds old-fashioned - but it is still a fact. Especially working with public customers....:-)

rgds,
    Klaus

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:09 AM
  • This discussion gives a lot of input for other discussions, like:
    - what is the expected responsibilities for the role Change Manager?
    - what are the right capabilities for the role Change Manager
    - What are the possible differences between the organizational Management Team in an IT organization and the virtual Management Team in MOF? Are there any differences here?
    - Is there a difference between the role Change Manager and the function/job title Change Manager?

I understand and realize that there are many cultural differences involved in positioning the Change Manager. Khalid has pointed out that calling someone a manager has implications in the Middle East. Both in ITIL and in MOF the term Manager is used not only for actual management positions (responsible for people, resources and budget) but also for coordinator like roles as configuration manager and incident manager. Thus a Change Manager can be a true manager as well as a project manager or a staff member.
    The main responsibility of the Change Manager should be the planning of changes to be implemented, to make sure that only changes that ere well designed and tested (accepted by Operations and the Customer) are scheduled for implementation. For this responsibility it is not necessary that the change manager is part of the actual management team (is a true manager). And it is smart that the Change Manager is positioned close to the true managers that have the final authority over both the planning and execution of changes.

In many cases the Change Manager position is not filled by the change manager in the ITIL/MOF sense. We might call it a duck, but it is still a goose. We might call it a Change Manager but in fact it is a portfolio manager or a program/project director. We must be careful in transposing labels from one organization to a generic model.

Paul Leenards
    Getronics Consulting

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Also, it depends on how dynamic the IT organization in adapting hierarchy changes based on either business model changes or frameworks adoption (ITIL/MOF). I have seen some organizations who are top when it comes to Virtula roles implementation and how they bind them to IT employees formal Job Functions.

Regards,

Friday, May 16, 2008 11:11 AM
  • I’m marking this post as answered, if you need any help about MOF please open a new thread. J

Thank you,

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    www.mof.com.br | www.clebermarques.com | www.clebermarques.com.br

Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:21 AM