2008 (Non-R2) Cluster Disks Free Space Monitoring Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• We are running SCOM 2012 R2 with the Core OS management pack version 6.0.7061. We are monitoring numerous Server 2008 (Non-R2) SP2 clusters. The MP is discovers all the cluster disks, as I see them all listed as healthy under Monitoring -> Microsoft Windows Server -> Health Monitoring -> Cluster Disk Health.

However, no Free Space data is being collected. I have no data under Monitoring -> Microsoft Windows Server -> Performance -> Cluster Disk Capacity.

More importantly, I'm not getting any alerts for Free Space Monitor % or Free Space Monitor MB.

I've verified that all the Rules and Monitors are enabled for the Cluster Disk target. I've checked the Operations Manager event log on cluster nodes and see event ID 1000 stating that Microsoft.Windows.Server.MonitorClusterDisks.vbs  has executed successfully. I've run the script manually and it does not return anything, but it does not error either, so I assume that's normal.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this?

Friday, April 11, 2014 4:42 PM

Answers

• For anyone else who might be experiencing the same problem. Here was my fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968936/EN-US

It was issue number 2 in this hotfix. Basically the resource class comes back null without this patch.

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy_Stumph Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:59 PM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Hope the below blog be helpful:

OpsMgr – Authoring performance collection rules for cluster disks – the *right* way

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2012/09/27/opsmgr-authoring-performance-collection-rules-for-cluster-disks-the-right-way.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:46 PM
  • Thanks Yan. But the current version of the MP (6.0.7061) has some built in collection rules for Free Space MB and Free Space % already. They just don't seem to be working. Neither are the monitors for the same counters, which is really what I would like to get working.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to help. It may take some time. Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,

Vincent Wu

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 21, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Thanks Vincent. Any help is appreciated!

Andy

Monday, April 21, 2014 1:16 PM
  • Andy,

I do not have a cluster set up in my current lab, but you mentioned that the objects are discovered under "cluster disk health". do you see the size properties for those disks? also, check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd262028.aspxthe article says "The default health state thresholds for the Logical Disk Free Space monitor are different for system and nonsystem logical disk volumes. Error and Warning health states are based on both percentage of free space and on an absolute value, designated in megabytes (MB), of free space, as shown in the following sections."

once you confirm that the size shows up, you should be able to configure the monitors to expose the low disk space monitors at the values that you need.

hth

Jose

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:53 PM
  • Hey Jose,

Yes, the partition size does show up under Cluster Disk Health.

There is already a pre-configured Free Space Rollup Monitor for Cluster Disks in the MP that combines free space % and free space MB. There are also rules to collect free space % and free space MB as well. The rules and monitors are what is not working though. I believe both are driven by a script called Microsoft.Windows.Server.MonitorClusterDisks.vbs. I don't know if there is some flawed logic in there for 2008 cluster disks or what. It seems to work fine for 2008 R2 cluster disks and CSVs.

Thanks,

Andy

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:58 PM
  • For anyone else who might be experiencing the same problem. Here was my fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968936/EN-US

It was issue number 2 in this hotfix. Basically the resource class comes back null without this patch.

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy_Stumph Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:59 PM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:59 PM