none
Does DPM 2010 BMR transmit the entire system image each time? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am using BMR to backup several servers to a local DPM and backing that up to a secondary DPM.  When I watch the nightly synchs on the secondary DPM, the job indicates it transmits the entire system image because the "data transferred" is 14-30GB depending on which server.  That much data is definitely not being changed each day.  Is the "data transferred" accurate in terms of how much data is physically traversing the wire?  I am not talking about how much data is stored.  My concern is how much is going over the wire.  Thanks for your help.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 1:31 PM

All replies

• I guess the real question is, when doing BMR to a secondary DPM server, is it transferring an entire system image as the "data transferred" stat on the job suggests or just a small recovery point.  Again my concern is how much is going over the wire. Thanks for your help.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:26 PM
  • You should check how much data is transfered between the Protected Server and Primary DPM. Then this amount will be transfered to the secondary.

Try to activate incremental backup of the Protected server. If you leave the full backup option then every time you are backing up BMR it will transfer the entire volumes.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Thanks but where do you "activate incremental backup".  There's no setting in the protection group or member that I'm aware for that.
    Randall F Smith
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:53 PM
  • This option must be set inside Windows Server Backup MMC over the Protected Servers. Click Option in the right panel.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Wo, I had no idea that settings in the protected servers would impact DPM.  I will try it.  Thanks
    Randall F Smith
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:06 PM