Backup fails with error 0x81000019 RRS feed

• Question

• Backup fails right in the beginning with error 0x81000019. I have Win7 Home Premium OEM. I have been reading many different sites and threads (including all found in this forum with code 0x81000019) and people are telling that the 100MB SYSTEM RESERVED partiotion filling up is the problem. Some have solved it by axtending the partiotion. I tried that with easeus partition master 9.0.0 home edition, eventhough there was 70/100 MB free. I extended the SYSTEM RESERVED partiotion from 100MB to 470 MB as many said that the partiotion has to be under 500MB. Anyway, did not help me. Still the backup fails. Any new ideas?

I had a problem 3 weeks ago where my computer did not start properly. I first got the windows logo, but at the end there was just black screen with cursor/arrow. I had to use the recovery discs I made with my Acer when it was just out of the box. This meant my Win7 went back to where it was as new as well as the whole C-drive. All other programs had to be installed therefore. After intalling almost all programs back, I was able to make total backup with Win7 own backup utility. Actually I made it twice to two different eSATA-hard discs. Then I installed some programs more (Picasa, 7-Zip, CCleaner, etc.), as well as some windows updates and after that the backup has not worked. Not even after extending the hidden SYSTEM RESERVED partition.

I can do the backup of all my other drives, but not when the box "include a system image of drives: SYSTEM RESERVED, Acer (C:)" is selected.

I like the win7 own backup programme and I wouldn't like to use any other. The biggest reason is that this programme has worked really nicely, when I have had to recover the whole system or just some files.

All ideas and any help highly appreciated!

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for update.

1 Please check your hard disk for any errors:
    Click Start
    Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
    Click 'Run as Administrator'
    At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f

2 Also use SFC to check your system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

3 Check the status of the system by following these steps:

a. Go to the Registry Editor and locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
    b. Ensure that the following registry values are set to 0:
    SystemSetupInProgress
    UpgradeInProgress

4 Re-install the VSS dlls by following these steps:

a. Using command prompt, CD to the WINDOWS\system32 directory
    b. Stop the Volume Shadow Copy service by executing the command "net stop vss"
    c. Register the following DLLs and services by executing these commands:

regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, September 26, 2011 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to perform these tests to solve the issue:

1 Check all your drive is NTFS format

2 Logon with Clean Boot then make backup

3 Restart the Volume Shadow Copy

========================

a. Click on the "Start" Button, type "services.msc" in the search bar and press "Enter".

b. Right click on " Volume Shadow Copy service ".

c. Select “Automatic” in "Startup Type"

d. Click on "Start" button.

e. After restarting the Service successfully, please test the issue again.

4 Try to backup the system image to external HD to check the result.

5 Manually create a system image for test:

http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/20/windows-7-how-to-create-a-system-image-of-a-hard-disk-partition-or-windows-7-partition/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue persist, try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards, 

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for your help and effort.

I followed your instructions, but wasn't able to perform (4) backup to external HD.

After that I followed your instruction (5) manually create a system image, and it was interrupted with following message:

------------------

A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. (0x807800A1)

Additional Information:

The writer experianced  a non-transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error is likely to reoccur. (0x800423F4)

------------------

I think I'm not able to perform an in-place upgrade as my Win7 Home Premium is OEM and I don't have an installation disc for it.

I checked "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs and found following (which I am not able to understand my self and therefore ask for your help again):

------------------------------------

From VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IVssAsrWriterBackup::GetAsrMetadata.  hr = 0x80070001, Incorrect function.

Operation:
       PrepareForBackup event

Context:
       Execution Context: ASR Writer
       Execution Context: Writer
       Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Name: ASR Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {46e773c5-7f93-402d-b10c-1d6117dccc6c}

Error-specific details:
       ASR Writer: Incorrect function. (0x80070001)

-------------------------------

And another from VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80070001.  hr = 0x00000000, The operation completed successfully.

Operation:
       PrepareForBackup event

Context:
       Execution Context: ASR Writer
       Execution Context: Writer
       Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Name: ASR Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {46e773c5-7f93-402d-b10c-1d6117dccc6c}

Error-specific details:
       ASR Writer: Incorrect function. (0x80070001)

----------------------------------

And from SPP:

Shadow copy creation failed because of error reported by ASR Writer.  More info: Incorrect function. (0x80070001).

----------------------------------

and from Backup

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎09‎-‎19T12:47:07.624000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348129'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Where the details are:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D}" />
    <EventID>521</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-19T12:47:10.978215400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6749</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="3608" ThreadID="3180" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>KOTI_VL</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="BackupTime">2011-09-19T12:47:07.624000000Z</Data>
    <Data Name="ErrorCode">2155348129</Data>
    <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2155348129</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    Thank you again for your help!
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update.

1 Please check your hard disk for any errors:
    Click Start
    Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
    Click 'Run as Administrator'
    At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f

2 Also use SFC to check your system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

3 Check the status of the system by following these steps:

a. Go to the Registry Editor and locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
    b. Ensure that the following registry values are set to 0:
    SystemSetupInProgress
    UpgradeInProgress

4 Re-install the VSS dlls by following these steps:

a. Using command prompt, CD to the WINDOWS\system32 directory

regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:14 AM
  • Sir, according to your error , you don't have the required size of hard disk to save the back up , try to back up to an External Hard disk .

try to follow  this article because it's useful :http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/5687cc9c-c417-41e8-ab9f-838e154b8a15/

Regards

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Edited by Las D. Rashid Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by VVL76 Monday, October 3, 2011 3:05 PM
    • Proposed as answer by One1Samba Wednesday, October 7, 2015 12:18 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hi leo HuangLijun!

Thank you for your effort. I did what you suggested:

1) chkdskv -> all fine

2) Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

3) SystemSetupInProgress was set to 0

UpgradeInProgress, this I could not find at all...

4)

a.    a. Using command prompt, CD to the WINDOWS\system32 directory

C:\Windows\System32>net stop vss

The Volume Shadow Copy service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

regsvr32 ole32.dll
    The module “ole32.dll” was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

regsvr32 vss_ps.dll

The module “vss_ps.dll” was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

Vssvc /Register

OK I guess, because no message.

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

The module “swprv.dll” was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll

The module “eventcls.dll” was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

regsvr32 es.dll

The module “es.dll” was loaded but the entry_point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that “es.dll” is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

regsvr32 stdprov.dll

DllRegisterServer in stdprov.dll succeeded.

regsvr32 vssui.dll
    The module “vssui.dll” failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or depended .DLL files.

The specific module could not be found

regsvr32 msxml.dll
    The module “msxml.dll” failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or depended .DLL files.

regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll succeeded.

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

The module “msxml4.dll” failed to load. 

Do you have any idea what to do now? I guess I'm missing some of the .DLL files. Is it possible to download just those files from somewhere and get my win7 backup running. I have now been using EaseUS ToDo Backup Free 3.0, but would so much like to use the Windows own backup instead.

Regards,

Monday, October 3, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi!

Thank you for your answer.

The backup size is approximately 900GB and my external HD is 2TB. I have also tried another 2TB HD which I have installed inside my desk top for backup purposes only. All are NTFS. I have formatted both of these HDs that I use for backup to make sure there isn't anything hidden etc.

Monday, October 3, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi VVL,

I seem to encounter the exact same problems as you are having. Or can you make backups now?

I wonder if mr. Huang has some new solutions for you and me!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi DrDW!

I still have the problem. I can make backups with EaseUS ToDo Backup Free 3.0, but I would prefer the backup utility that comes with the Win7.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi VVL76,

after a couple of weeks not being able top make backups on my brand new PC - today I finally have!

This solution worked with me.

I have an HP pc / it comes with a D drive called HP recovery which is 12,6 GB.

The system had used almost all of the room on that space, so when checking it, the color was red *if you know what I mean.

That was something that wasn't seperate from the backup problem.

So I cleaned the D drive, took out some trash, created some space - I think I could also have made the partition bigger - and after that, backup was quick and smooth.

Maybe this'll work for you too - my problem was very similar to yours inclusing all those dll's that didn't load. I thought I must have removed them somehow, but that wasn't the case.

Hope you'll find your solution soon.

DW

Friday, October 7, 2011 9:22 PM
  • In my case resizing the "System Reserved" partition so it would have more than 50MB free (it was created with a size of 100MB and only 25MB was free) allowed backups and system image creation to be performed.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Helzayat. How did you manage to increse the size of that System Reserved volume?

I've tried shrinking other columes to free up space on the disk but I can't then extend the System volume into the free space.

Did you have to use a 3rd party utility?

N03L.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hi NIN03L,

I have used EASEUS partition master 9.1.0 home edition succesfully to change partition size etc. I have found the programme very helpfull and easy to use. It is free.

Yours,VVL76

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:55 PM