none
How To Launch "Windows Server Backup" or "System Image Recovery" from Mdt2013 manually at the wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been asked to do something unique. I would like to Pxe boot into a machine with MDT, and instead of selecting a option from the task menu, instead launch Windows Server Backup from the DOS prompt in the Mdt Pe environment.

The Boot Image that MDT Builds, is working fine for our task sequences, but in the case of a emergency, I would like to manually launch the Windows Server Backup so that I can restore a BKF manually via a cifs share.

I am able to launch dos, and have my network drivers from the dos prompt, but I am not aware of how to launch windows server backup from the mdt boot image.

What are the steps to add it to the Wim image, and then how to launch it manually when booted into the image from  a dos prompt?

Thank you so much!

edit: (Sorry I posted this in the Solution Acceserators by accident)
    • Edited by martKyu Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 12:45 AM

Answers

• Thank you for your guidance. I have solved my problem. I will post my solution so that others can understand how to do it.

* Log onto your WDS Pxe Server

* Mount the Windows Server 2012 ISO file as the K Drive

* Copy the K:\sources\install.wim to your desktop

* Create a temporary dir, and MOUNT to it with DISM command via:   "dism /mount-image /imagefile:C:\users\LockeCole\desktop\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:C:\users\LockeCole\desktop\winRE-MOUNT

* Browse with Windows explorer to inside your mount folder to find the winre.wim, for me it was: C:\users\LockeCole\desktop\winRE-MOUNT\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RECOVERY

* This is the winre.wim file we need. Copy it to a safe place.

* Open the WDS GUI > Highlight Boot Images > Import Boot Image > Select the new file we found called winre.wim, and label it "Windows Server 2012 RE Disk: With Windows Server Backup wbadmin GUI"

Now you can PXE and it will launch WinRE (Which is better than winPE, because it has wbadmin and windows server backup in it, with all the trouble shooting tools). Use this to recovery your Windows Server Backup files, that you made with your original server, and follow the wizard appropriately.

I hope this will help somebody, as it helped me very much so I wanted to type it for these forums. Thank you as always for your excellent support and assistance.

Cordially and with Respect,

Locke Cole
    Returner Ltd.
    FF3

• Marked as answer by martKyu Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:25 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:25 AM

All replies

• To continue to this very valuable forum (thank you for your help immensely):

Ive learned that people claim you cannot run wbadmin (which is wdsmgmt.msc) from any WinPE environment like Mdt. I was bummed and very sad, but there is one forum with a user that says he used wbadmin start backup -allcritical from inside a task sequence. This puzzled me, because I dont know how to run wbadmin from the command line.

On a normal server after installing the backup role, yes you can type wbadmin and it can backup and restore and launch the gui. However on a PXE'd MDT Client that is ready to execute, the DOS prompt in that window is WinPE, and therefore you cant add wbadmin.exe to the live booted machine.

What do i do :(

Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:33 AM
  • Why is it that if I put my Windows Server 2012R2 DVD and Boot into it, I can "access the recovery tools menu" and launch Windows Server Backup? How come I cant launch these tools from a MDT2012 pxe basic task sequence environment with the ADK.

My goal is to perform a Bare Bones Restore of a Windows Server Backup File I made to a fresh new box.

Any tips? Thank you all so much!!!!!!

Thursday, November 3, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Your question seems to more generally 'can I do this in WinPE?'.  I doubt you can. If you have found some post somewhere that suggests you can I would try their steps.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:40 AM
  • Thank you for your guidance. I have solved my problem. I will post my solution so that others can understand how to do it.

* Log onto your WDS Pxe Server

* Mount the Windows Server 2012 ISO file as the K Drive

* Copy the K:\sources\install.wim to your desktop

* Create a temporary dir, and MOUNT to it with DISM command via:   "dism /mount-image /imagefile:C:\users\LockeCole\desktop\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:C:\users\LockeCole\desktop\winRE-MOUNT

* Browse with Windows explorer to inside your mount folder to find the winre.wim, for me it was: C:\users\LockeCole\desktop\winRE-MOUNT\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RECOVERY

* This is the winre.wim file we need. Copy it to a safe place.

* Open the WDS GUI > Highlight Boot Images > Import Boot Image > Select the new file we found called winre.wim, and label it "Windows Server 2012 RE Disk: With Windows Server Backup wbadmin GUI"

Now you can PXE and it will launch WinRE (Which is better than winPE, because it has wbadmin and windows server backup in it, with all the trouble shooting tools). Use this to recovery your Windows Server Backup files, that you made with your original server, and follow the wizard appropriately.

I hope this will help somebody, as it helped me very much so I wanted to type it for these forums. Thank you as always for your excellent support and assistance.

Cordially and with Respect,

Locke Cole
    Returner Ltd.
    FF3

• Marked as answer by martKyu Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:25 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:25 AM