What To Expect With MDT 2013 Multicast from WDS 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a hard time finding out what to expect when setting this up.  I don't think anyone has posted a demo video showing it in action or even a detailed blog with screenshots.  The only multicast videos I have seen were old ones of WDS multicasting that had no reference to MDT.

What I understand is, once I have working WDS integration with PXE boot, all I need to do is go into properties of the deployment share then select the option to enable multicast support and then update the deployment share.  After that everything is supposed to work as long as the network supports multicasting.

So, how does it work from there?  How do you take advantage of it?

When I boot up a workstation to deploy to, where do I configure the specific deployment task to use multicasting (or not if I am just imaging a single system)?  When I boot the second and third machine to image, what are the steps to join the ongoing multicast? Do you pick the deployment task from the wizard again or does any machine booted to MDT join any in-progress multicast automatically?

Can you use the wizard to select different optional installed applications for different machines when using a multicast?

If you are imaging 30 workstations, can you configure it start the multicast when the 30th connection is made or does it start as soon as the first one joins?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:41 AM

Answers

• Once multicasting is set in the deployment share it will become the default method of deploying an image for clients connecteing to that deployment point. As far as I'm aware the boot disk does not need to be updated for this to take affect.

Multicasting in WDS is a rolling session.. It will start as soon as the first client connects and will end when the last machine finishes.  Machines can come and go throughout the session.

There are more options that can be applied (such as number of machines to wait for) but you need to change registry settings to do this.

I did have a GUI for this on my to do list.. but never got around to it.  Maybe it's worth another look.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Excellent question, you inspired me.

Here is my blog post on Multicasting, hopefully it should be a good start.

http://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/multicasting-with-mdt/

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:37 AM

All replies

• The mulitcast option gets added to the boot wim after updating. I don't know the timing before is stops waiting for clients, but the fundamentals work the same. mdt waits for others to join, you can monitor this in wds. I have not seen as with ghost you can tell how many clients to look for. Hope this helps
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Once multicasting is set in the deployment share it will become the default method of deploying an image for clients connecteing to that deployment point. As far as I'm aware the boot disk does not need to be updated for this to take affect.

Multicasting in WDS is a rolling session.. It will start as soon as the first client connects and will end when the last machine finishes.  Machines can come and go throughout the session.

There are more options that can be applied (such as number of machines to wait for) but you need to change registry settings to do this.

I did have a GUI for this on my to do list.. but never got around to it.  Maybe it's worth another look.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Excellent question, you inspired me.

Here is my blog post on Multicasting, hopefully it should be a good start.

http://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/multicasting-with-mdt/

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:37 AM