none
Device installation prevention popup only showing once

Question

• Hello,

I am implementing GPO's that will prevent the installation of hardware that is not explicitly defined in the Allow installation if device that match any of these device ID's setting. The settings are working as expected but the popup that shows the user that the device is not working as a result of policies is only showed once. Is this by design or is there a way to make this popup show every time the user plugs in a device, even if it is the same device five times in a row?

Domain controllers: Windows 2008 R2
    Clients: Windows 7 SP1

Kind regards,
    Michiel

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hello Jay,

I have tested the setting you adviced but that does the same thing, give a message every first time a device is being connected. Every second time (and third, etc) no message is displayed. After a reboot there is also no message as the device is probable in the device database of that specific computer. Since the message is generated every first time for each device I think this i by design and we will have to live with it.

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards,
    Michiel

Monday, February 22, 2016 12:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Michiel,

I think you could try to configure Prevent installation of devices that match these device IDs.

This policy setting specifies a list of Plug and Play hardware IDs and compatible IDs for devices that users cannot install. If you enable this policy setting, users cannot install or update the driver for a device if any of its hardware IDs or compatible IDs match one in this list. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, users can install devices and update their drivers, as permitted by other policy settings for device installation.

This policy setting takes precedence over any other policy settings that allow users to install a device. This policy setting prevents users from installing a device even if it matches another policy setting that would allow installation of that device.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:09 PM
  • Hello Jay,

Thank you for your reply.

I have not tested that setting but I would like to prevent the use of that specific GPO setting because that would require me to specify all hardware I would not like to be installed and that seems an impossible task. The setting I am using now allows me to specify what hardware to allow and by default all else is denied.

Kind regards,
    Michiel

Friday, February 12, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Hi Michiel,

The article below may be helpful to you.

Device Management and Installation Step-by-Step Guide: Controlling Device Driver Installation and Usage with Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731387(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:49 AM
  • Hello Jay,

I have used that document on initial setup, but it does not cover the specific question I have; is it possible to let the popup appear every time you plug in a device, even if it is the same device multiple times in a row.

Kind regards,
    Michiel

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Hi Michiel,

To achieve your goal, you could configure Prevent installation of devices that match these device IDs for these devices which have been described by other policy setting, and configure Allow installation of devices that match any of these device IDs (This setting is intended to be used only when the Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings policy setting is enabled).

I thinkthe popup will appear every time you plug in a device when policies are applied successfully.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:33 AM
  • Hello Jay,

I have tested the setting you adviced but that does the same thing, give a message every first time a device is being connected. Every second time (and third, etc) no message is displayed. After a reboot there is also no message as the device is probable in the device database of that specific computer. Since the message is generated every first time for each device I think this i by design and we will have to live with it.

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards,
    Michiel

Monday, February 22, 2016 12:02 PM