How can I include value of sharepoint's 2007 version column in a word 2010 document? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have some SharePoint 2007 lists, with versioning, where we store quality documents created with Word.

The procedure we found at this link, and copied below, worked just fine until we migrated to Office 2010.

In Office 2010, Words crashes when we try to add the 'Label' into the document footer.

I tried with different PCs and it is the same on all of them. With Office 2007 is still working fine.

Any suggestion?

Many thanks

• Enable versioning and content types on your document library.
    • Go into document library settings and select the content types you want the version to appear in.
    • Select Information management policies settings from the content type menu.
    • Select define a policy and click .
    • Click on the 'Enable Label' Check box
    • Do not Check the other two boxes in the Labels section.
    • In the Label Format field, enter the metadata fields in the following format:

Version : {Version} \n
    • Set the label appearance and click on preview.

• Click at the bottom of the page.
    • Go back to the library and create a new document using the content type you have modified.
    • Save the file as a Word 2007 format.
    • Select the insert tab
    • Select Quick Parts from the Ribbon menu and hover over document property
    • Select Label from the properties list
    • This should display the metadata defined in your label as a field in your word document. The field will update automatically when you next open the document.
    • Save.

Monday, October 7, 2013 2:33 PM

All replies

• Did you try this suggestion from the linked thread?  And have you tried to see if a Quick part will pick up the Versioning Column?

Erwin's answer is spot on, but I wanted to leave this in case someone runs into the same issue I did.  If you attempt to set the label for version on the site collection content type rather than at the document library level, you will get the error "The label reference, Version, could not be found." when previewing or saving the Information Policy.  Also, you will be unable to save a policy at the document library level if you have previously defined one at the site collection content type level.  It must be set to "None" on the site collection content type.  Probably should have been obvious to me from the start, but it wasn't, and maybe this will help someone else down the line.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Unfortunately the suggestion is not working, at least not as we need to have it. The changes needed would affect several aspects of the document list, that is a ISO 9000 procedures list and needs to cope with specific requisites.

I will raise a ticket to MS via MSDN.

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:46 AM