none
Unable to Remove Public Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new 2010 SP1 system with two mailbox servers. During the installation I said we need public folders so it create two 'default' public folder databases with names containing random numbers, so I decided to remove them and replace them with more sensible names within our naming standard. For the second server I removed the DB and created a new one, all fine. On the first server I cannot remove the database and get the error saying that it still contains folder replicas. I followed various technet articles and therefore did the following:

- Ran the 'MoveAllReplicas' script. Waiting a couple of days and from looking in the Public Folder Management Console I can see that the second server now contains all the folders (note that they only contain system folders, not anything else

- Moved the offline address book generation server to server 2.

- Moved the other database client public folders to server 2.

But still no good! Any advice please? I just need to delete it so that I can recreate it with a good name...

Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please follow the steps below to correct the value on sitefolderserver.

1.     Open an Active Directory editor, such as ADSI Edit.

2.     Locate the public folder information store you want to designate as the Site Folder Server, by expanding the following:
    CN=Configuration,DC=<DomainName>,DC=com, CN=Services, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=<OrganizationName>, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), CN=Databases

3.     In the right pane, right-click CN=<PublicFolderStoreName> and select Properties.

4.     In the Attributes field, scroll down and select the distinguishedName attribute.

5.     Click the Edit button, and then copy the entire attribute to the Clipboard.

6.     Expand the Configuration container, and then expand CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<OrganizationName>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<DomainName>,DC=com.

7.     Right-click the administrative group you want to modify and select Properties.

8.     In the Attributes field, scroll down and select the siteFolderServer attribute.

9.     Click the Edit button and paste the value for the distinguishedName attribute into the Value field.

10.   Double-check the contents of the Value field to ensure the paste was done correctly, and then click OK to save the change.

11.   Click OK to close the administrative group properties dialog box.

12.   Exit ADSI Edit and restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on all Exchange Server computers in the site for the change to take effect.

• Marked as answer by ukDavidC Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:24 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 5:54 AM
    1. If you have created a new OAB on exch 2010 and the old one exists on 2010 too?  Then delete the old one and update the new one using update-offlineaddressbook. - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995979.aspx
    2. On a client download the OAB and see if you get the latest changes.  If youre only using 2003 clients then you will have to make sure thwe your PF are sorted as this is what they will use as what you will configure n exch 2010 as a distribution method.  You can test with Outlook 2010 but if your intension is to use both 2003 and 2010 then you need to test both methods.
    3. To test OAB for 2003 clients you will need to sort out the PF issue.

Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:43 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ukDavidC Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by ukDavidC Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:29 PM
  • In the end I was able to delete the original public folder database by changing the SiteFolderServer value to the alternate PF DB. This seemed to 'free up' the database and I was able to remove it.
    • Marked as answer by ukDavidC Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:26 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:26 AM

All replies

1. Well if you're sure that the the PF DB  on server 1 doesn't contain any data then delete it via adsiedit, BUT be sure it doesnt have any data.
    2. Alternativly you may want to wait to make sure that the PF database has replicated it contents from server 1 to server 2 and then try again.

Sukh
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:31 PM
  • What counts as data? When looking at it I Can see there are two root folders, 'Default Public Folders' (empty) and 'System Public Folders', which has three sub folders - EFORMS REG, OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK and SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY. Is this safe to delete through ADSI edit or does it count? (each subfolder is empty)

Server 2 contains all this too - does that mean it has replicated?

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:43 PM
    1. Data such items on the actual PF.
    2. You can see the PF hierachy and the contents in there right, this counts as data,
    3. You've moved the OAB over and you dont use Outlook 2003 clients do you? If not then youre ok to go ahead.

Sukh
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:48 PM
  • We do use Outlook 2003 clients, or rather we WILL use them, but right now there are no clients connecting. So if I delete using ADSIEdit, then recreate a new database within the EMC, will Outlook 2003 clients be able to use the new one?
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:51 PM
    1. Have these system folder been replicated over?
    2. When you mean 2003 clients will use them>  does that mean exch isnt live at the moment ?  Have at ANY point any 2003 clients connected tot exch ?  If not, ten make sure they are replicated and trhen you can go ahead and delete.

Sukh
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

First please try to run get-publicfolderstatistics |fl to check replica on public folders.

Also we need to verify which public folder database is the default one for your mailbox database.

I recommend you to have a look at the article below:

Public Folder Replication Troubleshooting – Part 1: Troubleshooting the Replication of New Changes

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2006/01/17/417611.aspx

Public Folder Replication Troubleshooting – Part 2: Troubleshooting the Replication of Existing Data

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2006/01/19/417737.aspx

Public Folder Replication Troubleshooting - Part 4: Exchange Server 2007 tips

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/01/10/3404629.aspx

Xiu

• Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:44 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Actually it seems a little worse now... I decided to check a few things one last time before going for the ADSIEdit option and noticed that the event logs are saying that the Offline Addres Book cannot be updated:

OALGen is configured to generate version 4 OAB files for offline address book '\Default Offline Address Book' and publish it to public folders, but there is no public folder server available. OAB version 4 will be generated but will not be published to a public folder at this time. Please ensure that a public folder server with a replica of the Offline Address Book system folder is online and mounted, or disable publishing OAB version 4 to public folders.

Looking in the public folders I can see the Offline Address Book folder, then a subfolder for the Default Offline Address Book, but then the 'OAB Version 2', 3a and 4 folders are missing. I've tried to restore them with EXFolders as some posts suggested but it doesn't help (now they are there but I still get the error)...

Friday, August 26, 2011 9:15 AM
  • To add to that, I created a new Offline Address Book and it appeared in public folders and generated all the SUB folders OK, but when the address book generates it gives:

OABGen encountered error 80040111 (internal ID 50101f1) accessing the public folder database while generating the offline address list for address list '/'.

- \Offline Address Book

Friday, August 26, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow the steps below to correct the value on sitefolderserver.

1.     Open an Active Directory editor, such as ADSI Edit.

2.     Locate the public folder information store you want to designate as the Site Folder Server, by expanding the following:
    CN=Configuration,DC=<DomainName>,DC=com, CN=Services, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=<OrganizationName>, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), CN=Databases

3.     In the right pane, right-click CN=<PublicFolderStoreName> and select Properties.

4.     In the Attributes field, scroll down and select the distinguishedName attribute.

5.     Click the Edit button, and then copy the entire attribute to the Clipboard.

6.     Expand the Configuration container, and then expand CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<OrganizationName>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<DomainName>,DC=com.

7.     Right-click the administrative group you want to modify and select Properties.

8.     In the Attributes field, scroll down and select the siteFolderServer attribute.

9.     Click the Edit button and paste the value for the distinguishedName attribute into the Value field.

10.   Double-check the contents of the Value field to ensure the paste was done correctly, and then click OK to save the change.

11.   Click OK to close the administrative group properties dialog box.

12.   Exit ADSI Edit and restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on all Exchange Server computers in the site for the change to take effect.

• Marked as answer by ukDavidC Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:24 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Thanks, I've just run through this but the values were actually correct. I tried changing it to the alternate public folder but the issue still occurs. To summarise where I am now:

The default offline address book container in the public folders contains all the correct entries, as does the new address book that I created (the version subfolders now exist). On SERVER1, if I try to generate/update the offline address books it displays the following in the event log:

OABGen encountered error 80004005 (internal ID 50101f1) accessing the public folder database while generating the offline address list for address list '/'.

- \Default Offline Address Book

OABGen encountered error 80004005 while cleaning the offline address list public folders under xyz.... cn=Default Offline Address Book. Please make sure the public folder database is mounted and replicas exist of the offline address list folders. No offline address lists have been generated. Please check the event log for more information.

- \Default Offline Address Book

If I move the generation to SERVER2, the same happens.

Can anyone offer further advice please?

It looks like the new offline address book that I created *Seems* actually working now - is it best just to delete the original and use the new one seeing as it generates OK? Is there an easy way of confirming that it is working properly?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:09 AM
    1. Have you go tyour PF databases sorted now? on both server 1 and server 2?
    2. Have you confgired your OAB - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124719.aspx

Sukh
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:17 PM
  • No, please see my last post - The Default Offline address book has problems, the new one I added is OK, so is it best just to delete the default one? I have no clients using it at the moment. How can I easily verify that the OAB and free/busy data is OK?

Once that issue is cleared up I will try again to move all replicas and delete the original (my initial problem)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:20 PM
    1. If you have created a new OAB on exch 2010 and the old one exists on 2010 too?  Then delete the old one and update the new one using update-offlineaddressbook. - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995979.aspx
    2. On a client download the OAB and see if you get the latest changes.  If youre only using 2003 clients then you will have to make sure thwe your PF are sorted as this is what they will use as what you will configure n exch 2010 as a distribution method.  You can test with Outlook 2010 but if your intension is to use both 2003 and 2010 then you need to test both methods.
    3. To test OAB for 2003 clients you will need to sort out the PF issue.

Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by ukDavidC Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Just waiting a couple of days to make sure it's fixed, then I'll mark a solution
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:25 AM
  • In the end I was able to delete the original public folder database by changing the SiteFolderServer value to the alternate PF DB. This seemed to 'free up' the database and I was able to remove it.
    • Marked as answer by ukDavidC Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:26 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:26 AM