Discovery wizard not discovering any clients RRS feed

• Question

• i want to push the management pack to win7 clients .

But scom r2 discovery wizard not finding any client (discovery never ends)

Client side firewall not enabled 

I can ping win 7 machines from SCOM server . 

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:51 AM

Answers

• Try one of them. To push an agent, you will need to have administrator permission on each client, and you will need to have a default run-as account (called default action account) that will work on all of these computers.

Check a test client that is not working and look for security events, application events.  Also look at the Operations Manager log on the RMS for errors.

COM+ has to be enabled on the clients.

agent prerequisites have to be met on each client as well.  Remote execution, remote login needs to be enabled,and  the account used to push needs log in locally permission on each client.

Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:01 PM
  •  

Hi,

In addition, please refer to the following document to troubleshoot the issue:

Troubleshooting Issues When You Use the Discovery Wizard to Install an Agent

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff358634.aspx

If the issue persists, please also check the Event Log and let us know the details if there are any related errors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Pushing agents would be done by default with the action account and not the config account. However you can enter other credentials when pushing agents (like a domain admin).

In the error example you write there is a space between domain and the user name. Is this also the case in the real error or was that just because of editting it before posting here?

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:41 AM
  • are the clients part of the domain? bc the error gives an access denied and says it can't obtain the info about the account... Sure you can login to those machines with a domain account?

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:49 PM
  • try manually installing the agent on one of the windows 7 boxes using that account, to verify that everything is working as expected. make sure go to security settings in the opsmgr console and enable manual agents are allowed, after being approved in pending actions. If this works then you need to figure out the permissions issues. Are there any GPOs applied to these systems?

The Management Server Action Account is the account that is normally used to push agents to servers/clients (or at least this is what I use). Usually putting this account in the Admin group on the box is enough to push installation and updates to servers and workstations. If your msaa account has local admin privs then there might be a gpo or antivirus product or firewall setting stopping the agent install. Make sure all firewalls are off, all GPOs have been removed from the box and antivirus has been disabled then  try pushing to the box.

hope this helps.

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) | President - System Center Virtual Users Group | Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you!
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:03 PM

All replies

• Try one of them. To push an agent, you will need to have administrator permission on each client, and you will need to have a default run-as account (called default action account) that will work on all of these computers.

Check a test client that is not working and look for security events, application events.  Also look at the Operations Manager log on the RMS for errors.

COM+ has to be enabled on the clients.

agent prerequisites have to be met on each client as well.  Remote execution, remote login needs to be enabled,and  the account used to push needs log in locally permission on each client.

Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:01 PM
  •  

Hi,

In addition, please refer to the following document to troubleshoot the issue:

Troubleshooting Issues When You Use the Discovery Wizard to Install an Agent

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff358634.aspx

If the issue persists, please also check the Event Log and let us know the details if there are any related errors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Heres the error below from Windows events 

An exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error: 15404, State: 19. Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'Domain \scomCSA', error code 0x5.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:43 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

After checking the message, I think we need to ensure the account action used to push the agent has enough privileges on the target computers.

Meanwhile, please check the issue with the methods below:

Agent discovery and push troubleshooting in OpsMgr 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2007/12/12/agent-discovery-and-push-troubleshooting-in-opsmgr-2007.aspx

How does Computer Discovery Work in OpsMgr 2007?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2007/12/10/how-does-computer-discovery-work-in-opsmgr-2007.aspx

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:26 AM
  • 1 ) DOMAIN\scomCSA is the config service account , what privileges required for this account ?

2 )Does scom 2007 installation  will add changes in AD configuration partitions

DOMAIN\SCOMSAA  is the service action account

What all the privilages required for these two accounts

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Hi 

I think i need to concentrate on  the below  error before any other troubleshooting .Because  Execute as login =domain\scomCSA in SQL

giving me the following error . 

An exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error: 15404, State: 19. Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'Domain \scomCSA', error code 0x5

Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Pushing agents would be done by default with the action account and not the config account. However you can enter other credentials when pushing agents (like a domain admin).

In the error example you write there is a space between domain and the user name. Is this also the case in the real error or was that just because of editting it before posting here?

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:41 AM
  •  

Pushing agents would be done by default with the action account and not the config account. However you can enter other credentials when pushing agents (like a domain admin).

A.yes I tried with domain admin also , but no success

This is because of my editing
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:00 PM
  • are the clients part of the domain? bc the error gives an access denied and says it can't obtain the info about the account... Sure you can login to those machines with a domain account?

Rob Korving
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:49 PM
  • yes all are in same domain and i can login to the the macines with all accounts
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:35 PM
  • try manually installing the agent on one of the windows 7 boxes using that account, to verify that everything is working as expected. make sure go to security settings in the opsmgr console and enable manual agents are allowed, after being approved in pending actions. If this works then you need to figure out the permissions issues. Are there any GPOs applied to these systems?

The Management Server Action Account is the account that is normally used to push agents to servers/clients (or at least this is what I use). Usually putting this account in the Admin group on the box is enough to push installation and updates to servers and workstations. If your msaa account has local admin privs then there might be a gpo or antivirus product or firewall setting stopping the agent install. Make sure all firewalls are off, all GPOs have been removed from the box and antivirus has been disabled then  try pushing to the box.

hope this helps.

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) | President - System Center Virtual Users Group | Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you!
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Agent installed Manullay, But could not found in  in pending-management?????
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:34 PM
  • so a routing issue? telnet works to the scom management servers on port 5723?
    Rob Korving
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:48 AM
  • did you enable manually installed agents allowed to pending management under security settings before manually installing the agent? if no uninstall manaully installed, change security setting, then install agent. Also what if any errors are in the opsmgr agent event log?
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:44 PM
  • it's installed  and it is showing  in SCOM  .

If i take the image of the client which i installed the agent  manually  and deploy ? .Does it work 

if not what is causing  how can i fix the never ending deployement ?

Sunday, August 28, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Well if it is installed now the problem has gone away. If you image the client and you bring it back with several names and such it could give you some headaches. Best to install the agent in a post-deploy action. like a script of sccm action you run after deploying the image of a machine and after you have placed it into the domain correctly.

Deployment should be working without errors either through the scom push mechanism or through other deployment methods like scripts or sccm packages or manual installs.

Monday, August 29, 2011 7:16 AM
  •  

Hi,

Please also check the issue referring to the following articles:

The Discovery Wizard may stop responding during the discovery process in Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941409

OpsMgr 2007: Discovery Wizard never ends and no computers are discovered

http://blogs.technet.com/b/operationsmgr/archive/2009/01/14/opsmgr-2007-discovery-wizard-never-ends-and-no-computers-are-discovered.aspx

Having trouble discovering computers using the OpsMgr 2007 Discovery Wizard?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2006/10/24/having-trouble-discovering-computers-using-the-opsmgr-2007-discovery-wizard.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, August 29, 2011 8:17 AM
  • 1. Please stop all the services on RMS/MS related to System Center

2. Disable the SQL Broker Service by running below sql query in database

ALTER DATABASE OperationsManager SET DISABLE_BROKER

3. Enable the SQL Broker Service by running below sql query

ALTER DATABASE OperationsManager SET ENABLE_BROKER
    ALTER DATABASE OperationsManager SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

ALTER DATABASE OperationsManager SET MULTI_USER

4. Check the SQL Broker service is running or not 1=on, 0=off
    select is_broker_enabled from sys.databases where name = 'OperationsManager'

Now try for installing the agent from Console

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Hi has this question been answered? Or have you found the solution?
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.
    In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.
    Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:07 AM