none
Upgrade from MDT 2010 to MDT 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a master MDT server and 20 linked deployment shares, which all also have MDT 2010. I want to get onto the latest version and make sure I am doing it in the correct order. I've looked all over here and through the release notes on upgrading and there is not much out there about linked deployment shares.

I know I have to update to 2012 Update 1, then from there to 2013. My question is, do I need to do a content replication to all of my linked deployment shares after updating to 2012, and then again after updating to 2013 or can I just do it after I get the master server to 2013?

Friday, November 22, 2013 7:41 PM

All replies

• I'm not absolutly 100% sure since I've not done this myself. However I would guess you can update linked DS from MDT 2010 to 2013. Reason is that it will replace all content in your linked DS.

Myself just did an upgrade from MDT 2012 (not update 1) to MDT 2013. What I did was cloned existing MDT server. On the new MDT Server I installed MDT 2013 and upgraded deploymentshare. Changed some settings to match the new MDT server name. Then I removed/updated all drivers so they worked with WinPE 5.0.
    Monday, November 25, 2013 8:10 AM
  • I ended up running the following steps without an issue on 24 servers and have had no problems with imaging systems reported by any of those offices so far:

Updated MDT to 2012 update 1, upgraded the deployment share.

Removed WAIK then rebooted and installed ADK.

Installed MDT 2013, upgraded deployment share.

Completely regenerated boot media.

Replaced boot image in WDS.

On my test server I did have an issue with regenerating the boot media after installing ADK and updating MDT to 2013 without rebooting in between. ADK did not prompt for a reboot. I had to re-install it then was fine. No issues with the rest since I rebooted in between.

Monday, November 25, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Is this a customized unattend.xml file?

the bdd.log file suggests that during ZTIConfigure there were several entries that could not be updated, entries that should exist in the standard unattend.xml file.

I would revert back to the standard MDT Unattend.xml template, and test again.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, November 25, 2013 7:58 PM