Restricting applications to certain serves/clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Background: Only using AppV 4.6 for RDS. All servers are either Win 2008 x64 or Win 2008 R2. A single AppV management server is in use. Would consider adding a second but would prefer not.

I'm in the process of sequencing various management tools (vSphere, EMC, WSUS) and applications. However, I would like for these virtualized applications to ONLY be available upon logging on to the dedicated management terminal servers.

Of course I have assigned only authorized users the management applications, but I would like for them NOT to be available on the ordinary Remote Desktop servers.

Is it possible with only AppV for RDS to have some applications restricted to certain servers?

Sincerely

Mikkel Andreasen

Mikkel
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:44 PM

Answers

• just  a quick followup - to restrict the applications to certain servers I've decided to use a special environment variable.
    In the OSD file the path to the application includes %ManagementServer%.

I'll set the variable as a userlevel varibable using a GPO (preferences with item level targeting).

/mikkel

Mikkel
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by MikkelAnd Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:23 PM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

App-v Management Server does not have any native support for only providining an application on specific machines. Kalle Saunamäki did check earlier if anyone would be interested of a third-party provider that could do some minor checks.

If you want todo per-machine deployment I would in general use the standalone model or SCCM.

/Znack

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:41 AM
  • Alternatively, you could perform the following steps to get those applications onto specific servers:

1. Set REQUIREAUTHORIZATIONIFCACHED to 0
    2. Import the applications onto the specific servers via the SFTMIME (use /GLOBAL and /OVERRIDEURL switches) command or the generated MSI
    3. Do not import the applications into the Management Server

The applications will then be available to all users who log onto those machines

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Isn't that a "standalone model"?

:P

Monday, April 19, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Hello,

App-v Management Server does not have any native support for only providining an application on specific machines. Kalle Saunamäki did check earlier if anyone would be interested of a third-party provider that could do some minor checks.

If you want todo per-machine deployment I would in general use the standalone model or SCCM.

/Znack

Looks like I might need to. However I don't have a lot of experience with AppV (yet!), but I quite certain that SCCM is not available to me (no license). I will investigate the Stand alone model further.

/mikkrl

Mikkel
    Monday, April 19, 2010 7:33 PM
  • just  a quick followup - to restrict the applications to certain servers I've decided to use a special environment variable.
    In the OSD file the path to the application includes %ManagementServer%.

I'll set the variable as a userlevel varibable using a GPO (preferences with item level targeting).

/mikkel

Mikkel
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by MikkelAnd Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:23 PM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:52 PM