none
Is it supported to backup a file share on DPM 2012 using the server itself? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, DPM can protect most local workloads including, systemstate,  SQL Databases, File shares or volumes, Hyper-V Guests if acting as a hyper-v server.

Not sure what you are asking, but if you protect at the share level you can benefit from end user recovery(EUR)  for those shares, but if you select individual folders I don't believe we make the EUR shares on the DPM Server.  You might want to test that unless you are not interested in EUR.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:14 PM
  • https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/27e8b4ef-4575-43ff-9168-8a049b103e03/file-server-protection-by-share-or-volume?forum=dpmfilebackup

Found it, this explains it.

"From a protection point of view, there is not much difference, dpm will protect the files the same way.  The only difference being how you are selecting the subset of files to protect."

Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, DPM can protect most local workloads including, systemstate,  SQL Databases, File shares or volumes, Hyper-V Guests if acting as a hyper-v server.

Not sure what you are asking, but if you protect at the share level you can benefit from end user recovery(EUR)  for those shares, but if you select individual folders I don't believe we make the EUR shares on the DPM Server.  You might want to test that unless you are not interested in EUR.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do file server backups.

If I have fileserver01 which has data on  e:\data, I'm better off using DPM to backup \\fileserver01\data_share rather than "e:\data" due to the end user recovery?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Did you get an answer for this? I'm curious myself because you can back up both places. Is there a best practice or does it even matter which one you back up? I just have a lot of data I'm backing up and I'd rather select the best practice since it'll take 50 hours to back this up.

Thanks,

John

Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:32 PM
  • https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/27e8b4ef-4575-43ff-9168-8a049b103e03/file-server-protection-by-share-or-volume?forum=dpmfilebackup

Found it, this explains it.

"From a protection point of view, there is not much difference, dpm will protect the files the same way.  The only difference being how you are selecting the subset of files to protect."

Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:22 PM