How to activate office 2003 on new CPU after second CPU died RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to activate Office 2003 Standard edition on a new computer but Microsoft will not allow.

What do I need to do when I can not get my software to activate, since the replacemet CPU, of the one that died, was the second install of the license?

The EULA says "SOFTWARE TRANSFER.  Internal.  You may transfer your copy of the Software to a different device." I would think that when one CPU dies and you put it on a new one that would be a transfer, so how do I get it to active?

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• hi, sometimes the EULA is a generic document which covers multiple products, so it's important to confirm that the section of the EULA you are reading actually applies to the particular product edition you purchased.
    e.g. the EULA may address both PKC and FPP products, but, the product you purchased will be only one of these, so part of the EUAL applies to you and part of the EULA does not apply to you.

anyway, this article may help you:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/activate-or-register-programs-in-the-microsoft-office-system-HA001118776.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010173347

Don

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:01 AM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:19 AM
  • We need the FULL and EXACT error message text to do diagnostic searches!

It depends on the type of license you bought.

If it was a factory installed/activated "OEM" license,  or a "MLK" / Medialess Kit license, then you are out of luck.  It cannot be transferred, and the activation system will almost certainly consider a new CPU as a transfer rather than as an upgrade of the current system.

If you bought a "retail" / FPP license, (ie  the retail boxed CD) then yes you are allowed to transfer it to new computers and to have it activated on up to 2 computers at the same time.

If you have a FPP license,  and you have verified that you are entering the Product Key correctly, your best bet is to do a phone activation.

Transfer an Installation, Phone Activate

When you call in, don't enter any info (you already know it doesn't work), just wait (a long time) until you are offered the option of talking to a "service" rep. Explain that you have uninstalled from the old computer and are transferring to a new one. They should re-enable your product key to complete the activation. 

Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:08 PM