none
PS2010: site template inherits permissions but new project sites do not RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I find this surprising behaviour of project server:  I have a project site template in which the site permissions are inherited from the parent.

However when a project site is created using this template, I find that the permissions are all manually created, and I have to go back and reset the new site to inherit permissions again.

This means that I have to be careful to track every time a new project site is created if I want to ensure that permissions are inherited by default.

Is this normal behaviour?  Have I done something wrong?  Is there anything that can be done to make new project sites inherit permissions by default, as specified in the template?

Many thanks

Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the reason is that Project Server takes care about the permission on each site and actively synchronizes the permissions between the Project Server security and the SharePoint Security, if this option is enabled in the Server Settings. I was intended not to touch manually set permissions by the sync, how ever until CU 02/13 this was not the case. With the latest version this works fine, but may not apply to the initial provision process. So I would encourage you to test it with the lastet version with the permission sync turned off. Please share your results here.

Thanks,

Renke

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

• Proposed as answer by Renke Holert Sunday, April 7, 2013 4:51 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Hi Renke,

Thanks for your input, but I'm afraid it does not makes much sense to me.

First, permissions sync does not explain the problem I have.

The site template inherits permissions, and newly created sites do not inherit permissions.  To my understanding, permissions syncing simply syncs Project Server users to their SharePoint group equivalents.  I do not see how that has anything to do with the original site provision process.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:06 PM