none
DPM Protection Group is missing. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 with the latest updates and service packs that I was using DPM R2 Ver. 4.2.1205.0 on. The DPM console would not start after upgrading to the Update Rollup #1. After using DPMsync -sync i can now run the console but my protection group is missing. The drive volumes are intact and I can see that there is data on the disks, but I need to reconnect each server back to the corresponding volume it was using. Can anyone tell me how to do this without losing any recovery points?

Jessie Graves

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is the possibility that during the update rollup install that a new dpm database could not be taken or didn't complete and later the update failed and it rolled back to an older dpm database that didn't have protection group.  If you have a good DPMDB backup prior to installing the update rollup, you can in-install DPM and retain replica, reinstall DPM then restore the good dpm database.  That should get you back to a good state. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:56 PM
  • Thank you for the information. That is basically what i did.

Jessie Graves

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:06 PM