Point-in-Time (PiT) or Slippage report using version meta data in SP Lists (SP2007 / WSS 3.0) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I had asked this question once before, but now the environment has changed and I thought I would try again.  :-)   http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/de0097de-6308-4042-af4a-5de228fbbd3e

We now have a dedicated SP2007 development, UAT and Production environment to work in.   We were also able to get access to SP Designer 2007, MS Excel 2003 (&2010 for the dev team) and MS Access 2003 (& 2010 for the dev team).   I am hoping that with the additional tools maybe we can make this work. 

We have a SharePoint list that is used to track Project Status and implementation dates.   On average the enterprise has over 250 concurrent projects overlapping at any given time, sometimes impacting overlapping user groups.

The SharePoint list has version control enabled and some of the comment fields are selected to also "append changes to existing text".   Other fields like the date fields still keep track of the version changes but they (of course) over-write the last value in the DispForm.aspx.

The requirement from senior management now is that they want to have a slippage report.   What they mean by that is that by the time they reach the next fiscal quarter they want a summary of everything that changed.   They don't want every single version and revision in between ... just what was the planned implementation date for project 123 as of November 1 2012, and what is the most recent implementation date as of the end of the most recent quarter (ie. April 30 2012).  

The need is to be able to pull out the meta data as of the most recent version prior to the "AS OF Start Date" and the "AS OF End Date" and provide a comparison list of the values at each point in time.    

So far the only thing I have been able to come up with is doing a data extract into MS Access or SQL Server on a daily/weekly basis and then manually running the report.  

The users want to be able to run the reports themselves on an ad hoc basis.     They would like to be able to pre-configure and run the slippage reports to show: 1) what changed this quarter 2) what changed last month 3) what changed last week etc --- based on whatever dates they enter.

Is there a way to preconfigure Excel or MS Access to get at the object model and extract field level version information based on a query against the modified date?

Tools available in the environment: MS Access 2003, MS Excel 2003, SharePoint Designer 2007, SharePoint 2007, WSS 3.0 (note: the development team has MS Access & Excel 2010 but the general users do not)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• Can anyone help?   If someone can point me to the documentation where I can find out how SharePoint stores its version information I can try to figure out the rest myself ...

thanks!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Well I am continuing to experiment with JQuery, SOAP and any other API tool that I can get access to.   So far no luck in getting this type of information out of the ListItem version history.   Does anyone have any suggestions? 

thanks!

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:29 PM