none
IE 9 Play sounds in webpaged unchecked but sounds still play RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Enterprise amd64
    Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421 (Update Versions: 9.0.32 (KB2987107))

A user wants to prevent IE from playing sounds while not interrupting sounds for the entire system.  We've instructed him to do the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Tools
    3. Internet Options
    4. Advanced tab
    5. Under, Settings, scroll down to the Multimedia section (about 2/3 the way down)
    6. Uncheck Play sounds in webpages
    7. Apply
    8. OK
    9. Restart IE (for good measure)

Yet, after making the change, when visiting sites like this, this, this or this (and many others, like sites that have auto-playing advertisements or news clips), the sound still plays.  I've been able to reproduce this as well.

I checked "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Play_Background_Sounds" to confirm the REG_SZ value was "no", which it is.  (Although I'm curious why this page says its a DWORD...)

So I have a handful of questions:

1. If this is normal or expected behavior, where's the Microsoft KB or TechNet artciel that explains why that is so? 
    2. Assuming what was stated in this post is true, where is an actual recent Microsoft KB or TechNet article that explains what that setting will and will not control?
      Because this page & this page are dated, and this page doesn't have any details of substance on the setting.
    Thanks

• Edited by JuliusPIV Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:21 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, until now, the only way to disable IE's background sound is scroll down the the browser volume in Volume Mixer.

Click Volume icon, choose Mixer, then scroll down browser volume.

What a disappointed is that if user choose fresh IE, this method would doesn't work.

If there is any other method in the future, I would post the solution here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The reply in Answers forum is right, these sentence could be found in the description if Group Policy

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Componments\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Advanced Page\Play sounds in web pages

You can check it. But untill now, there is no way to disable IE background sound.

Roger Lu

Friday, October 31, 2014 7:34 AM
  • I had previously read the IE9 GP settings reference document but it didn't really have anything beyond that.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Anyone aware of a workaround or solution (be it from Microsoft or not) that doesn't nerf the sound for the entire system?

Friday, October 31, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, until now, the only way to disable IE's background sound is scroll down the the browser volume in Volume Mixer.

Click Volume icon, choose Mixer, then scroll down browser volume.

What a disappointed is that if user choose fresh IE, this method would doesn't work.

If there is any other method in the future, I would post the solution here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Roger Lu

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:14 PM