none
Client Side Caching Not Functioning?

Question

• I've turned on Folder Redirection recently and noticed for those folders, the paths of the files IN those folders show the network location, not a local path. I'm under the assumption that means if the connection to the file server is lost, those files would become unavailable. I'm assuming this based on another network my company handles who is using Folder Redirection and their paths on redirection folders point to a machine local path. Below is the GPO settings I have regarding Folder Direction, please let me know if there's something I'm missing or if it's as it should be:

Computer Configuration\Policies\ADMX\Network\Offline Files
    Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature:  Enabled
    Configure Background Sync:  Enabled

• Sync Interval:  5 Minutes
    • Sync Variance:  15 Minutes
    • Max Allowed Time Without a Sync:  30 Minutes
    • Blockout Start Time:  0
    • Blockout Duration:  0
    • Enable Background Sync for Shares in user selected "Work Offline" Mode:  Enabled

Configure Slow-link Mode:  Enabled

• Value:  1ms
    • Path:  *

Computer Configuration\Policies\ADMX\Windows Components\File Explorer
    Verify old and new Folder Redirection targets point to the same share before redirecting:  Enabled

User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection
    (These are common settings for Desktop, Documents, Contacts, Favorites, and Links.  All other possible redirected folders are not being redirected.)

• Path:  \\DomainName\RootName\Redirect\%Username%\Redirected Folder (IE Desktop, Documents, etc...)
    • Grant user exclusive rights to the desknbsp; Disabled
    • Move Contents to the new location:  Enabled
    • Also apply redirection policy to Wink2, Win2k Server, WinXP, Win2k3:  Disabled
    • Policy Removal Behavior:  Restore Contents

User Configuration\Policies\ADMX\Network\Offline Files
    Remove "Work Offline" command:  Enabled
    Specify administratively assigned Offline Files:  Enabled

• Network files that are always available offline:  \\DomainName\RootName\Redirect\%Username%

I guess I should also mention that the network is a mix of Server 2008R2 and Server 2012/2012R2 with Windows 7/8/8.1 clients.  DFS is also being used to replicate files across WAN links through a VPN tunnel.

• Edited by USMCGrunt0307 Friday, June 05, 2015 3:59 PM Added Info.
    Friday, June 05, 2015 3:54 PM

Answers

• > I've turned on Folder Redirection recently and noticed for those
    > folders, the paths of the files IN those folders show the network
    > location, not a local path.

That's perferctly ok, in fact these files ARE on a network location.
    Offline files do NOT change that - they work transparently.

> handles who is using Folder Redirection and their paths on redirection
    > folders point to a machine local path.

What did they set as the redirection target?

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Tuesday, June 09, 2015 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post here. But I'm a little bit confused about your question, do you want to redirect your folder to a local location instead of the network location?

If so, you might check the link down below:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786749%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

With group policy you can choose to redirect your folder to 4 kinds of locations which are:

1.The root of a network file share

2.A folder on a network share

3.A local folder

4.A home directory (only applicable if you have existing home directories in your environment)

In the above link you can know the detailed steps to configure the folder redirection to different locations.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:32 AM
  • No, I want to use Folder Redirection with Offline Files.  Folder's are redirected to a network share but offline files allows them to be available to the user if they're off the network or lose network connectivity.  When they come back online/on network, the shares resync any changes that were made.  If I look at the properties of the files currently, they show the location as being in a network location but on another network that has folder redirection implemented, they show as a machine local path.  I want to ensure my network is properly utilizing offline files and if the GPO settings shown in the OP are incorrect I'd like to know in what way so I can correct it.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2015 5:43 AM
  • > I've turned on Folder Redirection recently and noticed for those
    > folders, the paths of the files IN those folders show the network
    > location, not a local path.

That's perferctly ok, in fact these files ARE on a network location.
    Offline files do NOT change that - they work transparently.

> handles who is using Folder Redirection and their paths on redirection
    > folders point to a machine local path.

What did they set as the redirection target?

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Tuesday, June 09, 2015 9:01 AM