none
Excel PowerPivot Table Import Wizard suddenly not recognizing delimiters RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Power Pivot Table Import Wizard to import a pipe delineated file of almost 2 million rows successfully for weeks.  Now when I load the same file, all columns are shown as a single column with the pipe character between each.  Previously, this file would load in about 15 seconds (Win10 I7 16Gb environment).  The only way I can get it to load now is to establish a Schema.INI file indicating the pipe delimiter which works, but the load time is now 2 minutes.  I know the Schema.INI is invoking the ODBC driver, so it may be slower than the native Power Pivot Text Import.   Power Query works fine, recognizing the pipe character without the Schema, but still take 2 minutes to load.  The real question is why PowerPivot native Import Wizard no longer recognizes the pipe delimiter without Schema assistance.

Does anyone know what mechanism Power Pivot native text import without Schema.INI is using to load so fast and what may have broken to stop it from recognizing the delimiters.  

I have run a full reinstallation on Excel with no impact.  While 2 minutes is workable, there does seem to be some kind of bug that is disabling the native Text File Import.  Having to update the Schema.INI with any file name change is burdensome. 

Running Win10 / I7/ 16gb Office 365 Enterprise Build 12827.20210

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Saturday, May 23, 2020 12:31 PM