none
Database removed from Sharepoint farm. DPM is unable to update farm configuration. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have a DPM 2012 R2 backing up a SharePoint 2013 environment (W2k12 and SQL 2008 R2). One database has been removed from Sharepoint and now DPM is unable to update the Sharepoint farm configuration.

DPM console recommends that you should "Stop protection for this farm with retain data and re-protect it to update the farm configuration on DPM." But this doesn't work because DPM finds the deleted database and includes it to protection group. And the "Stop protecion of member" cannot be done because database is part of SP2013_Config.

Is there some misconfiguration on Sharepoints end or is this a DPM problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:31 AM

Answers

• After "Refresh Cache" was initiated on the protected SharePoint farm server in DPM, DPM was able to rediscover all the correct databases to back up without any warnings or errors.
    • Marked as answer by LasseKiipula Monday, May 9, 2016 9:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi LasseKiipula,

Tagging along as we have found the exact same problem.

Hope someone out there has a solution as this is making our backup stats look very poor with all of the failed jobs

Friday, February 26, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Hi

Please make sure that you remove the Database in your SharePoint Central Administration, think SharePoint still thinks this DB is available.

Michael Seidl (MVP)

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, February 29, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

thanks Michael for your response.

But I cannot find the failing database from SharePoint Central Administration, neither from SQL server.

Also Get-SPDatabase or Get-SPContentDatabase PowerShell commands doesn't list the database.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Hello,

I am seeing the same thing on my DPM server and SharePoint Farm. Database is gone from SharePoint, PS Commands run and the DB in question is not listed, yet DPM still "thinks" it is there and my backups fail.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 11:23 PM
  • After "Refresh Cache" was initiated on the protected SharePoint farm server in DPM, DPM was able to rediscover all the correct databases to back up without any warnings or errors.
    • Marked as answer by LasseKiipula Monday, May 9, 2016 9:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Thank you Robert, this seemed to solve out our problem.

I stopped protection for SP2013_Config with "Retain data" then I added it back with "Refresh cache". All SharePoint backups are now working without warnings or errors.

Monday, May 9, 2016 9:10 AM
  • Hi, would you be so kind and could you write me down exact steps, how did you stop protection of Sharepoint Farm\SP2013_Config with an option "Retain data" and then added it back with "Refresh cache"? I can't find this option in DPM 2012 R2.
    Thanks in advance

Friday, December 16, 2016 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

This scenario is covered in the below BLOG - the title is misleading as it should say UR5 or later and include DPM 2016. It also applies to all data sources not just exchange.

BLOG-Considerations when applying Update Rollup 5 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 16, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Thanks Mike for the link, it helped.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:46 PM