Caption numbers of figures disappear when chapters are cobined RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing a book. I have combined chapters written individually. I have 2 problems with images/ pictures

1. Caption numbers disappear giving errors like 'Figure 7.Error! Main Document Only.' . I guess chapter number appears but not the image number. I want to retain the chapter number and figure number as it is

2. In case of new images, I can not insert the caption at all. The menu is inactive.Problem 1-Caption number disappearingCap-Problem-2

Ulhas Samant

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you create the document? is the document created based on a template?

Can you reproduce this issue in a new Word document?

Is the document protected for forms? If so, try turning off protection and then see whether this issue continues.

Besides, if possible, could you share a sample document to us so that we can further look into it? You can send the document to us via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. (Please include the URL of current thread in the message so that we can quickly identify your thread and follow up on it in time)

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 8:53 AM
  • It sounds as if you the chapter merge process has ended up putting one or more pictures in a header or footer (and or a text box inserted in a header footer). In that case, the caption options are greyed out, probably mainly because captions rely on a { SEQ } field that does not work in a header footer (which is why you would get that error message back from the field).

I just wonder whether you have accidentally inserted one chapter inside another chapter's header (or some such).

Peter Jamieson

• Edited by Peter Jamieson Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:42 PM