Vista Ultimate 64bit freezes during install RRS feed

• Question

• I just decided to take the move to Vista Ultimate 64-bit, so I bought another 2gb of matching ram and a copy of vista.

I updated to the latest bios for my Asus P5B motherboard and then I enabled the 'Memory Remap' feature and ran MemTest86 for about an hour with zero problems.

Then I booted into my original install of XP and things worked just fine (though not registering the full 4gb of ram, of course)

Feeling good about everything, I formatted the harddrive and began installing Vista (brand new pressed DVD fresh from the case) and it kept freezing during the process of 'expanding files.'

I changed the ram around in the slots, and even tried installing with only the original two sticks of ram in my machine. I've also cleaned the install disc, unplugged all USB devices etc

Still it continues to freeze.

Any help is appreciated.
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 4:52 PM

Answers

•  

Hi 7sudden,

Thank you for your post.

As you have formatted the hard drive, your system should be clean. In this case, the issue is mainly caused by the hardware.

First I suggest we wait 10 to 15 minutes to make sure that the computer does not continue with the Setup procedure.

Then press ALT+TAB to check if there is any error message hidden behind the Setup splash screen. If so, please let me know the exact wording of error message.

If no error message appears, please remove unnecessary hardware devices such as sound card, printer, TV card and network card from the system. Unplug and re-plug the USB mouse and keyboard. 

This issue can also be caused by the faulty .or incompatible memory. Let’s try to use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to check if it is the cause of the issue. 

1. Boot from the Vista media.

2. Click the System Recovery Options.

3. Click Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

4. Click Restart now to check if the issue has been resolved.

In addition, we find the PC hang issue during the Vista installation can sometimes be caused by the corrupt installation disk or DVD drive. You can try to get another Vista disk or use another DVD drive to test the issue.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:44 AM

All replies

• same problem here apparently there is an issue with 4gb ram, take one out and ill bet u fiver it works, i have left a post on hardwere to see if there is a patch for this, keep an eye on it and let me know how u get on/ inf

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:45 AM
  •  

Hi 7sudden,

Thank you for your post.

As you have formatted the hard drive, your system should be clean. In this case, the issue is mainly caused by the hardware.

First I suggest we wait 10 to 15 minutes to make sure that the computer does not continue with the Setup procedure.

Then press ALT+TAB to check if there is any error message hidden behind the Setup splash screen. If so, please let me know the exact wording of error message.

If no error message appears, please remove unnecessary hardware devices such as sound card, printer, TV card and network card from the system. Unplug and re-plug the USB mouse and keyboard. 

This issue can also be caused by the faulty .or incompatible memory. Let’s try to use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to check if it is the cause of the issue. 

1. Boot from the Vista media.

2. Click the System Recovery Options.

3. Click Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

4. Click Restart now to check if the issue has been resolved.

In addition, we find the PC hang issue during the Vista installation can sometimes be caused by the corrupt installation disk or DVD drive. You can try to get another Vista disk or use another DVD drive to test the issue.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Monday, November 12, 2007 6:44 AM
  •  

Hi 7sudden,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:11 AM
  • Hi,

I have had "basically" the same problem.  However, my install almost completely finishes and then the system freezes.  When I restart the system it boots normally into Vista (Ultimate) and then trouble starts soon after.

Any sugestions?

RoadwarriorTT

Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:20 AM