none
Move non-co-located data to a co-located Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I have a lot of small non-co-located SQL databases that I need to re-protect in a co-located Protection Group. What exactly is the best way of doing this without loosing any data/recovery points? I also have a secondary DPM server, and I guess I need to change something there too?

/Amir

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Amir,

You should see this technet link : Reprotecting Non–Co-Located Data to a Co-Located Protection Group

Concerning your Secondary protection, I think you will have to recreate it.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Hi Stephane and thanks for your quick reply!

I've read the TechNet article, but I'm not sure exactly how to perform this. Do I stop protection on the SQL databases, choose to retain the data on disk and then re-add the databases to a new PG with co-location?

Regarding the secondary DPM server - if I recreate the Protection Groups, what happens with historical data? I have a retention goal for 10 years and need to be able to restore the databases after the change. But perhaps this doesn't affect any recovery operation?

/Amir

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hi Amir,

For no co-located to co-located, my advice is to do a test in preprod or sandbox if you can.

For Secondary protection, If you stop protection with the Retain Data option, DPM will retain the recovery points of the selected data sources as long as the retention range of the data source is not exceeded.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Edited by Stephane LADUNE Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:29 PM spelling mistake
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:27 PM