Issue with reinstallation of WSUS, Post install config fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to reinstall WSUS role. Steps followed

1. Uninstallation of WSUS role and windows internal database, restarted the machine

2. Delete the Data file from Windows\WID folder

3. Deleted the update service registry form registries

4. Deleted WSUS administration site for IIS.

5. Deleted the  files from Program files\update services.( Retained WSUSutil in sub folder tools as this was not coming up with installation).

6. Restarted the machine.

7. Installed WSUS - Successful.

8. Tried to run the post install configuration from console.. It errored out.

9. Executed the command "wsusutil postinstall CONTENT_DIR=<<Folder path on WSUS server>>

10. It erred out and the content of the error log is as below.

2015-02-03 23:06:07  Starting service W3SVC
    2015-02-03 23:06:07  Configuring IIS...
    2015-02-03 23:06:07  Start: ConfigureWebsite
    2015-02-03 23:06:07  Configuring website on port 8530
    2015-02-03 23:06:08  System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UseCustomWebSite.ExecuteIisCustomAction(String arguments)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UseCustomWebSite.Install(Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UseCustomWebSite.InstallAndConfigure(IisConfiguration& iisConfiguration, Int32 newPortNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.ConfigureWebsite(Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

Any pointers on how to resolve this issue would be of great help. I can not uninstall IIS on this server as this is acting as only distribution point for my SCCM Setup.

Regards

Leela

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Refer to below steps for clean uninstallation of WSUS.

Workaround 1: To uninstall WSUS roles and features using Windows PowerShell

1. In PowerShell, review features installed by calling: Get-WindowsFeature UpdateServices*
    2. To remove features, call: Uninstall-WindowsFeature <featureName>

Workaround 2: To uninstall WSUS roles and features using the Server Manager Console

In Server Manager, launch Remove Roles and Features Wizard (RRW), unselect items to be uninstalled, and complete the Wizard:

1. In Server Roles tab unselect ‘Windows Server Update Services’ option
    2. In Features tab unselect ‘Remote Server Administration Tools -> Role Administration Tools -> Windows Server Update Services Tools’ option

We recommend restarting the server to ensure that all WSUS components are removed. After uninstalling WSUS roles and features, you may reinstall the WSUS roles and features

And try to reinstall. It worked for me.

Regards,
    Arjun

• Proposed as answer by Vishnu Soman Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by RaniGun Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:23 PM

All replies

• 2015-02-03 23:06:08  System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified

The  key is in knowing which file specified could not be found. Unfortunately this logfile gives us no clues, and I see nothing in the preparations you did which would have contributed to this.

What OS is this occurring with?

There is one obscure possibility, but it's contingent on which OS/WSUS Version we're working with. It's possible that the WSUSUTIL.EXE that you kept is a patched version, and as a result of its presence, the original version did not get written by the installer to the ~\Tools folder. (I'm actually interested in your statement about why you retained it.) But I'll admit, this is a very long shot. Nonetheless, WSUSUTIL.EXE is a key component of this post-install procedure and the impact of using an uplevel version of that utility to do an installation is unknown.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:12 AM
  • Thanks for the response Lawrence.

My Server OS version Windows server 2012 R2, I have retained it as the WSUS role installation was not placing it in the tools folder. I found this file in below path and copied to the tools folder in C:\program Files\Update service\tools

"C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_updateservices-common_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_0ec4623b6eae6fb2\WsusUtil.exe"

I was able to move my distribution point to my primary server, so uninstalled IIS and reinstalled IIS and attempted installation of WSUS. It still failed at post install configurations with the same error.. No looks like I have reached a roadblock.. Any pointers would be of great help...

Regards

Leela

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:15 PM
  • Hi ,

Refer to below steps for clean uninstallation of WSUS.

Workaround 1: To uninstall WSUS roles and features using Windows PowerShell

1. In PowerShell, review features installed by calling: Get-WindowsFeature UpdateServices*
    2. To remove features, call: Uninstall-WindowsFeature <featureName>

Workaround 2: To uninstall WSUS roles and features using the Server Manager Console

In Server Manager, launch Remove Roles and Features Wizard (RRW), unselect items to be uninstalled, and complete the Wizard:

1. In Server Roles tab unselect ‘Windows Server Update Services’ option
    2. In Features tab unselect ‘Remote Server Administration Tools -> Role Administration Tools -> Windows Server Update Services Tools’ option

We recommend restarting the server to ensure that all WSUS components are removed. After uninstalling WSUS roles and features, you may reinstall the WSUS roles and features

And try to reinstall. It worked for me.

Regards,
    Arjun

• Proposed as answer by Vishnu Soman Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by RaniGun Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:23 PM