Can one use two styles in a single Word document? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create a document with two styles. The first section would be the body having style A. The second section is an appendix, using style B.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:04 PM

Answers

• OK, you are referring to style sets. No, it doesn't work the way you hoped for. A style set is simply the set of styles displayed in the Style gallery on the Home tab. Changing style sets replaces the set of styles in the gallery and redefines any styles already in use that have the same names.

If you want to modify the formatting half-way through a document, you will have to create your own custom styles. Alternatively, create two Word documents, each of which is using its own style set, convert to PDF and then merge the PDFs.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by JimIsMyName Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:19 PM
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Friday, March 1, 2013 7:42 PM (typo)
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:19 PM

All replies

• If you are saying that you want to create appendix numbering, take a look at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numberingappendixes.html. For more on heading numbering in general, also see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:40 PM
  • No, I want to use two different styles (the ones that come with Word) in the same document. For example, I want to use Manuscript in the top section and Formal in the bottom half. Whenever I try changing the bottom half, the top half changes with it, as if the whole document were being changed.

I saw this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/word/thread/1765bac4-a9c6-4219-9b0f-321863cd4450, but while using a style separator seems to insert something, it still doesn't let me split the document into different styles.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:55 PM
  • OK, you are referring to style sets. No, it doesn't work the way you hoped for. A style set is simply the set of styles displayed in the Style gallery on the Home tab. Changing style sets replaces the set of styles in the gallery and redefines any styles already in use that have the same names.

If you want to modify the formatting half-way through a document, you will have to create your own custom styles. Alternatively, create two Word documents, each of which is using its own style set, convert to PDF and then merge the PDFs.

• Marked as answer by JimIsMyName Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:19 PM
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Friday, March 1, 2013 7:42 PM (typo)
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:19 PM
  • OK, thank you! That should do it.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:20 PM
  • You are welcome!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:26 PM