none
Using Replication mechanism to make Production and Development Server in Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a Production, QA and DEV environments at our end and our customer wants Production and Dev environments in sync.

I have suggested to use Replication mechanism to make the DB's in Sync.

Our environment is Project Server 2010  and we have 4 PS DB's and 2 Content DB's now customer is asking are there any performance complaints or any problems if we do the replication.

Can any one tell me  am i going in the correct process or  any other method to follow as i need some technical references on the same if possible.

Please suggest

Thanks

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Geeth,

I would suggest my customer like this .

As we want DEV Environment to be sync with Prod. Then We need to take help of DB team which will take the data backup evey (week or daily its upto you ) from Prod enviroenment and Restore onto DEV environment.

DB team can write a script or use any tool avialable in market. DB team will only take the back up of project server related DB (4 PS DB and PS Content DB) and resotre it.

Note- This process need to perform when usgae will be low also DB team should take back and perfrom restore for 4 PS DB and PS Content DB.

There is no down time and perfromance issue.

________________________________________________________________________________

I have searched alot but didnt find any approach in technet article for Up to dat DEV and PROD. For one time of sync you have to do Back up and resotre from Prod to DEV. 

But this approach is right as we are not doing any modification on DB.

modification on DB is the only thing which is not recommended by MS which we are not doing.

You just think this scenario:

IF you want PRod DB on DEV only once then what you will do ??

Answer is You will take back up of PRod DB then Restore it on DEV once.

Now In your case: 

your client want DEV DB up to date every week it means you have to do back up and resotre activity every week rather than doing this manualy every week i am suggeting you to ask DB team to do it Automatically.

kirtesh

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Geetha,

You can use it replication method for DB SYNC between Prod and DEV. there is no Performance issue and nor harm as well.

How replication will work ??

Your Database Administrator  will establish the Replication between Prod and DEV. Then every Scheduled interval it will restore data from Prod to DEV. You need to schedule it when usage of the Environment will be less. As far as Prod to Dev replication is concerned you can do it every week either on Saturday or on Sunday.

These will be no downtime . there are many tools available in the market for Replication and how to use it, your DB admin must knew it (i Guess so )

As of now i dont see any reference article on the net for Project server but i am using it for many of my clients and it is working without any issue up till now. Earlier i was also worried as you are but now i am confident and happy as i need not to do back up and restore every week. 

Other Way is to do backup and restore every week manually it will consume a lot of your time.

I would suggest you to read a good article for back restore and replication to understand it properly.

Only you need to take care that target and destination sql server,share point and project server should be on same patching level or in short 

A Backup is a copy of the data in your database at the point in time the backup is run. A tlog backup is a backup of the transactions in your transaction log file. These are used for recoverability.

Replication has 3 types that you can choose from. Transactional, Merge & Snapshot replication. Replication can be used to provide other environments with possibly uptodate data depending on the type you choose to implement. These can be used to gain high availability.

For further information on replication have a look at this link - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151198.aspx

http://www.asigra.com/blog/differences-between-backup-and-replication

kirtesh

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:43 AM
  • Hi Kritesh,

I have read in the Estimate Performance and Capacity Requirements for Microsoft Project Server 2010 that

Note: Project Server 2010 does not support scaling out the Database component through SQL replication. While it is possible to perform SQL mirroring on a Project SQL Server for the purposes of backing up data, Project Server 2010 is unable to take advantage of SQL replication to reduce read loads on the SQL Server. 

No i am in dilema whether to suggest the solution to the customer or not 

Request you to help me out on the same.

Thanks

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Normally Replication can be used to provide other environments with possibly up to date data depending on the type you choose to implement. These can be used to gain high availability.

Replication has 3 types Transnational, Merge & Snapshot replication. You need not to think about typical replication.

I am using replication word as we need to replicate the backup and restore it onto dev in definite interval not the typical replication what you have written. 

Here you need to ask your DB to either write a script or use a tool so that every weekend data restore will happen on Dev environment automatically from PROD. DB admin can do it.

kirtesh

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:02 AM
  • Hi Kritesh

Thanks for the reply, but i am not able to finalise on the approach which i can suggest to the customer.

Any Microsoft recommended approach which can make the Project Server Prod and dev in sync.

Request you to suggest.

Thanks

• Edited by Geetha Chaitanya Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:38 AM added one more line
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:34 AM
  • Hi Geeth,

I would suggest my customer like this .

As we want DEV Environment to be sync with Prod. Then We need to take help of DB team which will take the data backup evey (week or daily its upto you ) from Prod enviroenment and Restore onto DEV environment.

DB team can write a script or use any tool avialable in market. DB team will only take the back up of project server related DB (4 PS DB and PS Content DB) and resotre it.

Note- This process need to perform when usgae will be low also DB team should take back and perfrom restore for 4 PS DB and PS Content DB.

There is no down time and perfromance issue.

________________________________________________________________________________

I have searched alot but didnt find any approach in technet article for Up to dat DEV and PROD. For one time of sync you have to do Back up and resotre from Prod to DEV. 

But this approach is right as we are not doing any modification on DB.

modification on DB is the only thing which is not recommended by MS which we are not doing.

You just think this scenario:

IF you want PRod DB on DEV only once then what you will do ??

Answer is You will take back up of PRod DB then Restore it on DEV once.

Now In your case: 

your client want DEV DB up to date every week it means you have to do back up and resotre activity every week rather than doing this manualy every week i am suggeting you to ask DB team to do it Automatically.

kirtesh

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:11 PM