Printer deployment via group policy/Windows update issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Not really sure where to post this question so if there's a better forum just let me know.

We bought a new HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn printer and I set it up today.  Installed it on my printer server and set it to deploy using group policy.  Seems to be working fine on our Windows 7 desktops but I have a Windows 8.1 workstation and it isn't deploying.

Since it is the day after patch Tuesday I decided to run Windows Updates and interestingly enough the printer shows up as an Important Update.  Ok, so I tell it to install but it fails with an error code of 80070490.

Searched for help with that error found a few suggestions, running sfc and dism, but so far none of that has helped.  I also tried deleting the port thinking since I had used it in the past it may need to recreate it, didn't help.

So I'm stumped, I've rebooted the computer dozens of times, even turned it off for a while, no help.  I even manually installed the printer to see if having the drivers pre-loaded would help but it didn't.

Any suggestions?  Anyone run into this issue before?

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Carl,

Surprisingly, when I turned on my computer this morning the printer install via group policy has worked and I'm able to print to it just fine. 

But when I run Windows Update it still shows the printer driver as an Important Update and it still fails the installation.  I suppose I could hide it in Windows Update, but if it truly is an updated driver I would think I'd rather have it install.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Linn

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Hi lkubler,

Thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that it works normally. I suspect that it didn't identify the GP. After reboot, it will update the GP. For the update. Smart as you, we could hide it in Windows Update, if we would update the driver, we could download it from manufacturer official website. This will ensure compatibility. If you feel this suggestion is helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regard,

Carl Fan

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 17, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi lkubler,

According to your description, I suggest that we could run the command “gpresult” to check if the GP has been deployed in Windows 8.1. Also we should make sure that Windows 8.1 admx has been configured on the server.

https://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/library/cc709647(v=ws.10).aspx

Then if the driver has problem, I suggest that we could download it from manufacturer official website to install manually.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Hi Carl,

Surprisingly, when I turned on my computer this morning the printer install via group policy has worked and I'm able to print to it just fine. 

But when I run Windows Update it still shows the printer driver as an Important Update and it still fails the installation.  I suppose I could hide it in Windows Update, but if it truly is an updated driver I would think I'd rather have it install.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Linn

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Hi lkubler,

Thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that it works normally. I suspect that it didn't identify the GP. After reboot, it will update the GP. For the update. Smart as you, we could hide it in Windows Update, if we would update the driver, we could download it from manufacturer official website. This will ensure compatibility. If you feel this suggestion is helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regard,

Carl Fan

Friday, June 17, 2016 9:37 AM