Outlook 2016 continously synchronizing inbox RRS feed

• Question

• Also, the Send/Receive bar never completes (see image)

Using Windows 7 and the desktop version of outlook.  Email type is IMAP/SMTP.

This situation started after I installed an iTunes update and rebooted my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

ISV using VB.net and SQL Server Express

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you see any synchronization errors in the Sync Issues folder on the Folders (Ctrl +6) navigation pane?

Does this issue continue if we try to unsubscribe Inbox and then subscribe it again? To do this, please follow:

1. Go to your IMAP mailbox, click Folder tab on the Ribbon.

2. Click IMAP Folders button.

3. Click on the Subscribed tab and click the Query button.

4. Find Inbox, highlight it and click Unsubscribe. Click OK.

5. Now, switch to the All tab and click the Query button.

6. Find Inbox, highlight it and click Subscribe

7. Uncheck the option “When displaying hierarchy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders.” at the bottom of the window.

8. Click OK.

If above doesn't help, please also have a look at the following article which described a similar issue. You may try the steps listed and see if they are helpful:

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/117

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jeff07 Friday, December 30, 2016 10:07 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you see any synchronization errors in the Sync Issues folder on the Folders (Ctrl +6) navigation pane?

Does this issue continue if we try to unsubscribe Inbox and then subscribe it again? To do this, please follow:

1. Go to your IMAP mailbox, click Folder tab on the Ribbon.

2. Click IMAP Folders button.

3. Click on the Subscribed tab and click the Query button.

4. Find Inbox, highlight it and click Unsubscribe. Click OK.

5. Now, switch to the All tab and click the Query button.

6. Find Inbox, highlight it and click Subscribe

7. Uncheck the option “When displaying hierarchy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders.” at the bottom of the window.

8. Click OK.

If above doesn't help, please also have a look at the following article which described a similar issue. You may try the steps listed and see if they are helpful:

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/117

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jeff07 Friday, December 30, 2016 10:07 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Unsubscribing and resubscribing the inbox did not resolve the issue.  I have 6577 sync errors.  The all read something like this:

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:10 PM
  • I closed and reopened Outlook which resulted in the synchronization inbox message to no longer appear.  However, a new sync error appears in the log when Outlook sends/receives.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, December 30, 2016 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 6:43 PM
  • are your wired or wireless internet, the problem does not seem to be consistent, if wireless can you try again on a wired network or a differnt wireless network. This may be your network or your internet connection. If it was the same message then there may be corruption but based on logs i'm not seeing that.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:07 PM
  • >>I closed and reopened Outlook which resulted in the synchronization inbox message to no longer appear.

Do you mean the original issue has been fixed after restarting Outlook?

Generally, if you are not encountering any send/receive issue, the synchronization error can be simply ignored.

If you are concerned about the error, you can try root your IMAP mailbox and see the result. To do this, please follow:

1. Go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.

2. Double click your IMAP account to open the Change Account wizard.

3. Click More Settings > Advanced tab, type Inbox in 'Root folder path' and click OK.

4. Follow the Change Account wizard and finish the process.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Marked as answer by Jeff07 Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jeff07 Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:35 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:19 AM
  • >>I closed and reopened Outlook which resulted in the synchronization inbox message to no longer appear.

"Do you mean the original issue has been fixed after restarting Outlook?"

Let me clarify what I did.  First I closed and reopened Outlook hoping that would solve the issue.  Secondly I searched for a solution but ended up making my post here.  Thirdly,  I unsubscribed/resubscribed the inbox as you suggested.  Finally, after that did not seem to work, I closed and reopened Outlook again.

These action resulted in the "Synchronizing Inbox" to not appear continuously.  However, I still receive sync errors every time Outlook sends/receives.

I tried your suggestion above and now matters are worse.  Items in folders do not update and I lost all of my saved emails.  Will restore outlook data file.

• Edited by Jeff07 Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:38 PM Update post
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Sorry Jeff for the inconvenience caused. In theory, the method I provided shouldn't have caused the email items to lost. Have you tried to remove "Inbox" from the Root folder path field and see if you will get your emails back?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:26 AM
  • I did and they did not come back.  Oh well.  Email now works ok.  Thanks.

Friday, December 30, 2016 10:07 PM