none
How to use specific folder names in the backup rules ??? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone :) , i work in an IT department in france and I need some help :

i am new to SC DPM : I have configured a server (under Hyper-V ) with Microsoft Data Protection Manager on it, i followed the instructions given by this TechNet link : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758153.aspx . 

(SQL server is OK)

i did the DPM Agent deployment via SCCM on a VM collection just to make sure that the agent is working well and it is OK , the agents are listed on the DPM console . 

when i try to set up a new protection rule, i select my computer, i need to backup a folder wich contains the username : i.e. : on the computer named VM-W10 i need to backup 'c:\username' fodler but i can't use 'C:\%USERNAME%\' as folder path, and the  environement variable is not detected when i do this and on the agent ( computer side), it says that i cant synchronize, because there is no folder selected ...

anyone have an idea ?

moreover, i need to backup a folder inside the folder which contain the username : i.e. : I need to backup the 'C:\username\mail'  folder but we can't know in advance what is the name of the folder on C:\{username} on each computer who have the agent installed . 

sorry for my bad english if any ...

• Edited by Alexaandre Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:27 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:26 PM

All replies

• hello,

really ?

nobody knows ?

• Edited by Alexaandre Friday, March 25, 2016 7:22 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to backup users data you have to choose protect "Clients" when create new protection group 

Friday, March 25, 2016 12:41 PM
  • hi, thanks for reply : i've already choose to protect client, but i need to backup a folder on C which has the same name as the username if the user is logged as jhondoe on the domain , there will be a folder on C:\jhondoe on the computer but this folder was created by our IT Team, and to be created we had to change the location of the user profile : right click on the profile foldername : "c\users\jhondoe",  tab location, set location to "C:\jhondoe" . So we have to find a way to backup the C:\jhondoe folder from Data ProtectionManager, but in a automated way ... DPM isn't recognizing the environment variable %USERNAME% ( http://ss64.com/nt/syntax-variables.html ) i tried %USERPROFILE% variabe and its the same result, the folder is not selected in bold on the agent on the client computer . 

• Edited by Alexaandre Friday, March 25, 2016 2:26 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Maybe you can do workaround - create symlink c:\profiles = c:\username

On DPM server you include patch c:\profiles

or if you have not a lot of users you can create on DPM server all users directories (c:\user1, c:\user2...)  

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:59 AM