Post-uninstall SteadyState Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I attempted to put SteadyState on one of the five peer-to-peer networked computers at my library. I was a little un-educated on the program, so I decided to take it off and read up on it prior to implementing it. Several problems reared their head post-uninstall. The sole computer I put it on would change the homepage of each web browser (each time you started one up it was almost as if the browser was installed for the first time), desktop icons would dissapear (each time you rebooted it'd reset the desktop), it was as if SteadyState was still protecting the hard drive. The weird part is that I didn't even have the disk protection enabled. This was eventually remedied by deleting the user account and creating another.

The second round with SteadyState proved even more troublesome. Again, I decided to uninstall, and faced even greater challenges after I removed the program. Windows Automatic Update turned off and won't allow me to turn it back on; the Security Center service is disabled on start up and will turn off again if I activate it in services.msc; the Turn Off Computer button has been removed from the login screen.

After glancing through services.msc, I also noticed that the Automatic Update service is indeed active and starts with the logon. I tried restarting the service but it didn't help. I ran Spybot, as it sometimes detects changes made to the Windows Firewall, but it coudln't fix the problem either. My last resort was System Restore. Each time I tried it, using random dates, it always resulted in a message saying that the machine couldn't be restored. I'm running out of ideas short of a clean install.

Anyone have suggestions?
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Wesley,

I am sure that the SteadyState restrictions haven’t been removed before uninstalling SteadyState. Please understand that Shared user profiles will retain any restrictions applied to them even after Windows SteadyState has been uninstalled. Thus, if you would like to restore the user profile to the previous status, you need to uncheck all restrictions before removing SteadyState. This has been described in SteadyState handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Based on the current situation, we need to reinstall SteadyState, remove all restrictions and then uninstall SteadyState again:

-------------------

1. Install SteadyState and start it from an administrator account.

2. Remove restrictions placed on all the user profiles [including unlock user profiles].

3. On the Start menu, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then select Add or Remove Programs from the Pick a Category list.

4. Click Remove Programs.

5. Select Windows SteadyState, and then click Remove.

After that, user profiles will be restored to the previous status.

Based on my test, after removing SteadyState from Add or Remove Programs, all the SteadyState information (including services, files and folders) will be removed completely. 303, please check the uninstall steps or let me know if you uninstall it with other methods.

Best Regards,

Friday, September 28, 2007 8:41 AM

All replies

• I'm having a similar issue.

I uninstalled SS because of the slow boot problem, now I have remnants of this program that I do not want.

How do I get rid of the SS Service entry in services.msc?

And the rest of the remnants?

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:45 AM
  • Hi Wesley,

I am sure that the SteadyState restrictions haven’t been removed before uninstalling SteadyState. Please understand that Shared user profiles will retain any restrictions applied to them even after Windows SteadyState has been uninstalled. Thus, if you would like to restore the user profile to the previous status, you need to uncheck all restrictions before removing SteadyState. This has been described in SteadyState handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Based on the current situation, we need to reinstall SteadyState, remove all restrictions and then uninstall SteadyState again:

-------------------

1. Install SteadyState and start it from an administrator account.

2. Remove restrictions placed on all the user profiles [including unlock user profiles].

3. On the Start menu, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then select Add or Remove Programs from the Pick a Category list.

4. Click Remove Programs.

5. Select Windows SteadyState, and then click Remove.

After that, user profiles will be restored to the previous status.

Based on my test, after removing SteadyState from Add or Remove Programs, all the SteadyState information (including services, files and folders) will be removed completely. 303, please check the uninstall steps or let me know if you uninstall it with other methods.

Best Regards,

Friday, September 28, 2007 8:41 AM